Received "improvement plan" due to me disclosing my diagnosis verbally...

Started by Ecowarrior888, May 08, 2019, 01:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecowarrior888

So about 6 weeks ago, when my family was in a crisis- that were all triggers btw: My mom was in surgery (huge trigger), my grandma was dying (still alive but she is 98...so...still coming  :'( , and my suicidal cousin came into contact with me, my sister stopped talking to me because she was being triggered without knowing and without knowing how to cope)- my job gave me an "improvement plan." It was basically a document that tore me to shreds due to a new supervisor that has it out for me. Saying that I make everyone feel like they are "walking on eggshells" even though I have statements from all my team members that we have a good working relationship, they feel I am approachable and take constructive criticism well.  Saying that I don't know how to leave my "home life outside of work" which is complete bull because 1: I was going through a family crisis, 2: my home life!?!? really, if I disclosed to them that I have CPTSD it is freaking embedded into everything that I do. Anything is a freaking trigger: a scent, a phrase, a scenario, someone's dominant posture, etc. I told one supervisor and that supervisor advised me to tell the new supervisor...which my gut said not to...I should've listened and yeah I received this improvement plan.

Before all of this, I had an interview for a promotion. Literally everyone on my team, except me got promoted and my manager said that it was because of the improvement plan that I did not get promoted. I feel so picked on. Literally attending a pity party of 1 right now, me, at home. Someone who I trained since she was an intern got promoted! she just passed probation last week! At first I was like, of course I didn't get it....I have so much to work on. But now that my coworker that I trained since she was an intern got the job, I feel it is literally because that supervisor had it out for me and submitted this so called improvement plan which everyone I work with and my therapist say that what they claim is entirely false.

I am beyond happy for my friends, don't get me wrong, but I have no idea how to cope with this. I have no idea how to deal. I'm scared if I try to fight this improvement plan they may have more reason to try and extend the plan or even remove me from my team with the claim that my job is too dangerous, etc. Even though I have been working in this position for 3 years before this "new supervisor" got to our team. All the claims they made in that improvement plan were never an issue that was brought up to me, beforehand.

So yea.... I am scared for my career. And I wish it was a workplace I could just leave but I can't. My field is so small. Literally if I were to leave this job, I would have to move away: from my hometown, my family, my friends..... from everything that I know. I am not exaggerating. Plus besides all of this stuff, I love my job. It is my dream job, until this horrid human being became supervisor. It is crazy as I type this how dramatic this seems but I am telling you, not exaggerating. Everyone I told that I did not get promoted are really angry about it saying it isn't fair that I have always shown great work ethic and I am easy to get along with....Just that one month of crisis and I guess the rest is history...

Any advice?

Rainagain

You are right to be concerned, this could be the start of something very unpleasant.

The new supervisor might move on or get squashed if they are generally inept.

They might settle down and realise you aren't someone they need to try to do something about.

They might start trying to 'improve' someone else and leave you alone.

But they might be a problem for you that doesn't go away.

If not you have to try to defend yourself from further harrassment, quietly work through this improvement plan and get it removed/completed quickly and limit contact with this supervisor to work topics, record everything said, get documented clarification of what is said, ask for evidence supporting decisions which impact you.

The supervisor should be asking what your employer can do for you during this difficult time instead of adding to the pressure you are under, be careful, keep your head down at work and dont give this supervisor ammunition.

If you are asked to take on anything new with added complexity then ask if that is appropriate while you are working under an improvement plan.

I dont think canvassing colleagues helps, they are getting promoted over you and/or not getting subjected to improvement plans, it's not about their opinion of you, it's all about your supervisor's attitude to you and your work.

I really hope it settles down quickly for you.