Scoliosis

Started by Gromit, May 19, 2019, 06:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

https://mindkindmom.com/scoliosis-your-protective-body-armor/?fbclid=IwAR2jjqklLbCSeEEOhkok_2t1zwohgjSJR9SXTMajMP9Q83FjFUvw5WJd8kw

I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis in my 20's when I stopped being able to go to my yoga class for a while and ended up in pain. When I realised what it was and how it appeared in the body I realised I and my teacher had noticed the symptoms in some yoga poses where I was twisted in my torso.

I still notice that I tense certain areas of my body, even when just reading, creating imbalance in my body. When I notice that I try to do something different with my position, but the armouring still creeps in.

This is the first thing I have seen that suggests a reason for my scoliosis. I remember chiropractors had asked me if I had had any physical injuries which could have caused it but I could not remember anything.

Mine does not cause any pain now, I was told to return to yoga and I practice daily. As the distance away from my FOO in time and position increases my physical health improves, I feel better now than I did 20 years ago.
G

Kizzie

That is a really interesting article Gromit, tks for posting!  It speaks to the fact that trauma is not just emotional but highly physical as well. 

I can really relate to the article even though I don't have scoliosis but I definitely do armour. As I was reading the article I could feel my shoulders raising and tightening, particularly when I read this:

Her feelings/needs don't matter, to survive she has to become non-existent – a 'non-person'. Blocking out every need, feeling because there is no one to validate, care or give damn. The pain of unrequited needs – for love, kindness, and caring.  Being strong and being in control is all that matters. Being vulnerable and emotional means destruction, contempt and derision.

That's it in a nutshell in my case. It explains why when I do get angry and say what I think/feel, afterward I have a total fear response - it may indeed "mean destruction" of me, my self.  I get it now more than ever that an important part of recovery is about doing some body work. 

QuoteMine does not cause any pain now, I was told to return to yoga and I practice daily. As the distance away from my FOO in time and position increases my physical health improves, I feel better now than I did 20 years ago.

Glad to hear your efforts are working  :applause:

Blueberry

Quote from: Gromit on May 19, 2019, 06:49:58 AM
As the distance away from my FOO in time and position increases my physical health improves, I feel better now than I did 20 years ago.

:applause: :applause:

Gromit

Quote from: BeHea1thy on May 23, 2019, 03:44:50 PM
Gromit,

A big thank you also for posting this article. I agree with Blueberry's enthusiasm about your observation that distance and time away from your FOO is directly correlated to the improvements in your health.
my bowel has not been happy this week following a communication from my BIL so it is a work in progress.

QuoteThe list of therapeutic modalities is interesting. I'm going to add crawling and see what happens!
crawling is definitely a therapeutic activity, I have learnt that in training for work.

G

Gromit

Quote from: BeHea1thy on May 25, 2019, 11:50:43 AM
Your crawling exercise therapy intrigued me so much, I haven't stopped thinking about it!    :applause:   A word of caution: it can be hard on the knees.

I came up with a method which was not on the knees as I had a student who was not mobile in her legs. I got her to do the hand,arm movements pressing into the seat of a chair whilst staying on her feet. That way you can get movement in the hips if you can by swaying as you do the crawling movement with the upper body.
G

SE7

Gromit, thank you so much for posting this topic! I have a very severe case of scoliosis which is now giving me big-time problems in later-midlife. I was diagnosed in my pre-teens. I am adult-child of two uPD parents (NPD & BPD). I only came to realize their unofficial diagnosis a few years ago. I often thought the scoliosis was caused by a surgery I had as a young kid, which could have started a pattern, but I also have wondered how much is emotional "bracing" ... now in my adulthood I see how fearful I am of my father, and how overbearing both of my parents were and still are. The level of infantilizing and subverting in my FOO is quite severe, so perhaps my muscles responded by shrinking further into myself and twisting myself to accommodate them. It really makes sense. Thanks for reminding me of the psychological connection, and also the crawling exercise which someone once taught me many decades ago that I totally forgot until now!