I was born into captivity

Started by bluepalm, May 19, 2019, 08:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluepalm

A new poem, which arose from my painful awareness of how often I've been preyed upon in life. And how I've frozen and failed to defend myself from predators.

I was born into captivity

I was born into captivity,
with wild beasts as my keepers.

They were unable to abide me,
unable to rise to their responsibilities.

Themselves isolated in their cage,
they isolated me further.

No-one came to look through the bars
as they tormented me.

There were no visitors to this
particular zoo of relentless assaults.

And now I cannot abide to see
any bird or other animal trapped in a cage.

Helpless. Unable to move.
Its body bruised and spirit crushed.

Because I know that,
even if it breaks free,
it carries the wounds of its confinement
for ever, inside its beaten body and soul.

And forever it will fly or limp on the outside

of the flock,

of the herd,

easy pickings for predators.

Not Alone

Wow. Powerful. Sad.
Quote from: bluepalm on May 19, 2019, 08:56:37 AM
I was born into captivity,
with wild beasts as my keepers.

They were unable to abide me,
unable to rise to their responsibilities.

Themselves isolated in their cage,
they isolated me further.

No-one came to look through the bars
as they tormented me.

There were no visitors to this
particular zoo of relentless assaults.

Can relate to all of your poem, but especially this part and "it carries the wounds of its confinement
for ever, inside its beaten body and soul." You express yourself powerfully. Thank you for sharing.

bluepalm

Thank you so much notalone.  :hug:

RiverRabbit

Lasting wounds are hard to care for... especially when they become a "normal" part of our lives.

And when it is from birth, you can't know there is any other way to be until you escape the cage.

I like how you show the cage stays with us even after we escape it.

Very powerful.

bluepalm

Thank you RiverRabbit. These words came out in a rush and have given me some relief from the shame and sadness of remembering my weakness in the face of predators. I can see now, that knowing nothing else, having no protectors in life, and carrying those wounds forever, I was left defenceless through no fault of my own. Freezing in the face of danger is what happens when you're actually trapped and even, outside the cage, when you still feel trapped, albeit floating 'free' but with no connection to safety in the world.

bluepalm

Thank you BeHea1thy. I'm finding writing poetry, with its need for concise wording, to be an invaluable outlet for emotion and understanding at the moment. Once I've clarified something in words for myself, it lessens the distress somehow and gives me relief. I'm grateful to those who read my words and those who respond with their thoughts - it feels like a validation of my existence. I'm alive and I'm speaking and I'm being heard.