Babysitter animals for ICs and other imaginary stuff

Started by Blueberry, May 22, 2019, 07:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

I mentioned in WideSargassoSea's Journal that I sometimes put an IC into the care of a Babysitter so as not to go on overwhelm in my Adult self. I didn't come up with that idea by myself. Various therapists did imagination work with me over the years and various animals popped up and some have stayed with me.

In one case, it wasn't immediately clear that the animal was only for an IC and not for me. That's Porcupine. He is now for the 2 yo only. There's a Mother Hen who looks after really small ICs, but not the 2 yo. Older ICs have Inner Safe Places where I can put them where they do something they enjoy. The 16 yo dances wildly, by herself. The 6 yo likes to be outside in nature. The 11-12 yo is in a room full of books. Sometimes the 7 yo gravitates towards the 16 yo, but mostly the 7 yo stays in her Inner Safe Place.

I used to think the 7 yo's Inner Safe Place was very unsafe but my present T asked me to feel into why she likes it and then it was clear why she chose that spot, so I'm assuming it's similar with the Babysitter Animals.

Three Roses

I love the idea of animals helping and safeguarding us. IRL dogs do that for me, but I get a kick out of spending time with my chickens, too.

When I think of my inner angry teen, the animal that comes to mind is a bear. The bear ambles alongside her, watching for danger. I'll ask the others what kind of animals they want.

Kizzie

I love this idea BB!   :thumbup:

I've actually been considering an emotional support dog once we get to our new location which I think would be helpful for all my various IC in different ways. It never hurts to have few imaginary animal friends though.   ;D 

I have been getting rid of a lot of things in preparation for our move and was going to give away my giant teddy bear - couldn't do it lol. So stuffed animals are also helpful.

Sasha

Wow, reading this just made me absolutely ball  :'(

I'm struggling a great deal at the moment, as I have been practicing more grounding and angering when triggered and my inner child is so loud to me. I keep getting stuck in grief and feel unable to soothe as I feel I have little resource at present. Poor poor children. To have some more strategy would be wonderful.

The animals are a great idea. I'm looking for a therapist at the moment (first time!) and I'm going to ask about this if it seems appropriate.

Thank you for sharing x

Sasha

Hi again Blueberry

Your post made me think about things differently. I don't think I had quite realised that there can be different ages of our inner child that need different types of response and understanding.

Reading what you wrote really helped me open up something I have been on the cusp of for quite some time, in regards to relating to my youngest self - infant, toddler, baby.

Thank you for sharing x

Blueberry

I'm really glad my post helped you Sacha  :)
Are you feeling a bit better today too?

Sasha

Ah thanks for asking Blueberry. I'm trying to rest today. This week has been one big blur, I'm feeling more settled after an emotional start to the day, where I sobbed a lot. No I feel ready to sleep and snuggle and relax.

Read this, which was interesting...
https://dreamhawk.com/health-and-healing/inner-baby-and-child/