Depression masked by ptsd

Started by Rainagain, June 07, 2019, 01:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainagain

Recently remembered that one of my psych reports said that my ptsd/cptsd masks the underlying major depressive disorder.

I've been going through a depressive episode over the last 6 months and recently realised that I have been depressed and that my PTSD symptoms have in some way eased a little.

Traumatised me reacts with anger when triggered, I haven't been feeling that sense of burning injustice lately, I've been more detached.

Maybe that has allowed the depressed me to show through more, it feels like that.

Or maybe a depressive episode has calmed down the traumatised me.

I think I prefer the depression, feeling nothing is easier than feeling too much.

I only realised something had changed recently, some people I hadn't seen for 6 months commented on dramatic weight loss, I hadn't noticed that either but it is a sign of depression so I made the link.

Could be an issue if PTSD improvement just brings out depression more strongly, the cure could somehow be worse than the disorder, typical, I should have known there would be a catch, there always seems to be one.