Adult Survivors of Child Abuse ~ The Morris Center

Started by BeHea1thy, June 09, 2019, 08:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeHea1thy

Originally posted by Kizzie on October 2016, under the thread labeled CPTSD Related Work Books, was a link to the Survivor to Thriver Manual. (free) The OOTS site is so massive that its taken me a while to mine all the goodies here. The point is that this particular manual and method seems to resonate with me right now. I posted the table of contents of that manual in the thread mentioned above. But since there are other worthy resources, I thought I'd start one specifically for THIS process.

The site includes a Wordpress blog which sums up their "steps and stages".

Stages & Steps

Stage One
Remembering

Step 1. I am in a breakthrough crisis, having gained some sense of my abuse.

Step 2. I have determined that I was physically, sexually or emotionally abused as a child.

Step 3. I have made a commitment to recovery from my childhood abuse.

Step 4. I shall re-experience each set of memories as they surface in my mind.

Step 5. I accept that I was powerless over my abusers' actions which holds them responsible.

Step 6. I can respect my shame and anger as a consequence of my abuse, but shall try not to turn it against myself or others.

Step 7. I can sense my inner child whose efforts to survive now can be appreciated.

Stage Two
Mourning

Step 8. I have made an inventory of the problem areas in my adult life.

Step 9. I have identified the parts of myself connected to self-sabotage.

Step 10. I can control my anger and find healthy outlets for my aggression.

Step 11. I can identify faulty beliefs and distorted perceptions in myself and others.

Step 12. I am facing my shame and developing self-compassion.

Step 13. I accept that I have the right to be who I want to be and live the way I want to live.

Step 14. I am able to grieve my childhood and mourn the loss of those who failed me.

Stage Three
Healing

Step 15. I am entitled to take the initiative to share in life's riches.

Step 16. I am strengthening the healthy parts of myself, adding to my self-esteem.

Step 17. I can make necessary changes in my behavior and relationships at home and work.

Step 18. I have resolved the abuse with my offenders to the extent that is acceptable to me.

Step 19. I hold my own meaning about the abuse that releases me from the legacy of the past.

Step 20. I see myself as a thriver in all aspects of life – love, work, parenting, and play.

Step 21. I am resolved in the reunion of my new self and eternal soul.

Three Roses

I just started this work book yesterday! 😮😄

SharpAndBlunt

This looks really helpful, thanks BeHea1thy!

I tried following the link to download the pdf from http://www.ascasupport.org/ but I think they might be having problems with their website at the minute - I couldn't get through. I will keep clicking back there periodically to see if I can get it.

The steps & stages you have listed here  are great though. Thank you.

SharpAndBlunt

Thanks, I have it now. The link wasn't the problem so either their website was down for a bit or I had a problem with the connection at my end.

For referenece, here is the link I used to download the workbook. I am printing it out because I find it easier to work with that way.

Thanks again.

http://www.ascasupport.org/_downloads/survivor_to_thriver.pdf

SaB

Hope67

Hi BeHea1thy and SaB,
Thank you both for sharing these resources - I have started to read this - and I realise that I am experiencing many emotions of younger child parts when I do - hence I stopped reading at a certain point, but I am glad to have this booklet - and I hope to continue to read it, and gain support from it.  Thank you.   :)
Hope  :)

SharpAndBlunt

I had to put this down too, at a certain point, but I hope to return to it. I've realised a lot of resources about trauma recommend working with a therapist or at least a sponsor. Not having either I'm going cautiously with material that might be difficult.