Shortness of breath

Started by Gromit, June 15, 2019, 09:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

I think my shortness of breath and all that that brings is due to my son's exams. I was fine with them until he experienced a migraine in an exam. Now I am struggling to catch my breath almost all the time. I can do yoga exercises to balance my breathing but, as soon as I stop I am back, with incomplete yawning, struggling to catch my breath. I think the only time I am breathing ok is when I am asleep or totally engrossed in something good on the TV. 'Killing Eve' anyone?

I am hoping things will get back to normal when the exams end but the shortness of breath has persisted through weekends.

Is this because of C-PTSD or just general anxiety? I have only experienced it like this once before, I am not sure what changed and when it went before. I am not on any medication at the moment, but I was last time.
G

MoonBeam

Hi Gromit, Shortness of breath is definitely one of my anxiety symptoms. For me it is related to traumatic experiences manifesting as body memories and it seems to trigger when I'm in high stress as well. I don't know if I can separate my cptsd symptoms from the general anxiety I experience.
Recently I got a scrip for a beta-blocker 'cause it hung in there-pretty much constant for over a week. It really helped with both breathing and shaking. I definitely talked to my GP about it because I wanted to make sure it was related to cptsd/anxiety and not something else wrong physiologically. I'm still taking the med a few times a week sometimes during the day and also if I wake up at night and go into panic mode.

I hope it gets better soon.

Kizzie

It sounds like anxiety Gromit but it might be best to check in with your GP just to be sure.   :grouphug:

Gromit

Thanks Moonbeam, now my son's exams are over I do not have the same symptoms so I don't think there would be anything for a GP to look at. Are Beta Blockers ok? My mother gave me one for my last driving test, (I had failed it so many times) I did not ask for it, had no idea what they were or that she had them, obviously it is not something she should have done as they are prescription only.
G

MoonBeam

That's good to hear Gromit. Glad things are settling down for you.

There was an earlier post regarding beta-blockers under the medications topic, I believe, where you might find more info.  Essentially, my understanding is they are a med for high blood pressure/irregular heart beat, but they have been used off-label to treat anxiety.  They block adrenaline from reaching the heart's beta receptors. So, basically for me, it stops me from shaking, my heart feeling like its going to pound out of my chest, and the shortness of breath that comes with that. I'm pretty sure its for short-term use and have heard it is often prescribed for "stage-fright" type situations.

Good luck regarding your son's exams. I hope all went well.

Gromit

Ah, Moonbeam, someone I told about my driving test told me he knew someone used them for 'stage fright' he was in a band.

I normally have 'perfect' blood pressure, almost low so it might not be a good thing to have them but, if I suffer again I should go to the GP. I know someone who ended up in hospital with anxiety when her son had exams so I am not alone.  I manage better when the stressful things happen to me, not someone else.
G