CPTSDFoundation.org

Started by LittleBoat, June 18, 2019, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBoat

Hi there.  I stumbled upon this group yesterday.  I couldn't find a physical location for them.  They do have a facebook page, however.  Is anyone else familiar with this organization?  Has its resources worked?  Thank you.  LittleBoat

Kizzie

Looks like they've been around since 2014 but I've never heard of them before  :Idunno:  Oh wait I see the name  Mathew Pappas - I've seen him on Twitter. I think he and the founder do a lot of podcasts about CPTSD.   

LittleBoat

Thank you, Kizzie.  Would you be able to poke around a little on their site?  I started following them on facebook and already I'm getting several articles a day in my newsfeed, some of which might mean well but could also prove triggering.  I trust OOTS more than this "Foundation," right now.  Any further examination by you would be terrific.  I know you're busy.  All best, LittleBoat

Kizzie

Hey LittleBoat - Views are my own but my reaction to the site is that I am always uneasy when founders/owners of help sites set themselves up as authoritative voices on a subject (in this case trauma), but don't have much training. There are only two certified trauma coaches from what I can see and that concerns me b/c Complex PTSD is  just that....complex and IMO requires treatment by professionals with more indepth knowledge and training (i.e., doctorate level b/c they are in training and are supervised for much longer than Masters level clinicians or coaches).

At OOTS no-one claims to be an authority, we just share resources and our experience (what has helped/not helped us), amke suggestions and offer support.  I like that because I can decide what info is helpful rather than having someone choose for me, and I am able to be an active participant and contributor in a community of peers.

Hope this helps.  It is just my opinion and of course if you do find the site helpful I don't want to turn you away from that.  In the end it's all about whatever works for each of us  :) 

Elphanigh

I am just seeing this now, but as someone that is super familiar with them I wanted to chime in. I volunteer for them and have been with them for several years using resources and the like. They were "Trauma Recovery University" before the name change and non-profit status switch about a year or so ago. Thankfully they always encourage and remind people to seek professional help as well, but they do coach and hold safe places for survivors between therapy sessions if that makes sense. I have never gotten the sense that they believe that they are any sort of authority on the subject, that being said it is just my experience with them. They are more of a support group type set up, or intend to be. They have closed support groups online that are free and kind of like here, outside of their other work.

They helped me out of a really dark place before I found OOTF and I am very fond of the work they do, and the founders as people. I have had the pleasure to get to know them both personally and truly believe in their intentions. It is a really new organization that I think has the potential to do a lot of really good things.

All that said, everyone needs something different so it may not be for you but for me they helped immensely. Their youtube channel was really valuable to me first learning about all of this stuff.

Kizzie

Thanks Elph, I'm glad to hear your thoughts b/c the more credible groups/orgs for CPTSD the better.  :yes:

Elphanigh

Glad I saw this then  ;D I am always glad to see more groups and information about Cptsd.

Kizzie

Blueberry

Thanks from me too Elpha, both as Mod and for me privately!

Elphanigh

:grouphug: Glad to hear it! I was honestly a bit worried posting, which I know was silly