What's jobs/career is good for cptsd people?

Started by Boatsetsailrose, June 18, 2019, 07:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatsetsailrose

Hi
I wanted to gleen if there are some of us that have work that suits our needs and isn't too triggering on our nervous systems...

Sasha

Hi Boatsetsailrose,

I've got a few jobs and my favourite is private music teaching. Doing something I love, that lifts me up and helps others to do it too. I'm self-employed in this capacity and find it's a very flexible type of work.

I also like working as an employee part-time (2-3 days) in management positions in charities. Often find the work culture in charities is better and have had a few employers I've trusted enough to disclose to, and who have supported me during difficult times. Policies can help you to be secure in your role and I quite like desk work!

If it's any help, although not what you have asked, I find working in small private businesses as an employee probably the hardest overall. I find small businesses often have the least protection, worst contracts, and bad HR / management practice. There is no authority to oversee management practices (need to be employed 6 months plus to access a tribunal) and often high levels of work pressure, with little capacity to accommodate illness.

I also work as a consultant which brings in good money, at a high rate, meaning I work a little and can rest a lot. It is very hard work but I can do it at home, in my own time. I have no support though, and if I am sick I don't get paid, plus it can annoy big clients and disrupt future opportunities when I am not on time. Nonetheless, the work must be useful and good as I am doing all right, with bits trickling in fairly frequently.

What have you found good? And what has been not so?

Blueberry

I do private teaching one-on-one too, though not music.

I'm pretty sure there've been threads on this before. I checked back, this might be useful: https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=8654.0

Good luck finding something compatible, Boatssetsail, I know it's not easy. :hug:

Boatsetsailrose

Thanks for sharing sasha
I got out of my career as a mental health nurse 1 yr ago... I find it just crazy I did it for 10 yrs.. I got really unwell..
Now I haven't worked for a Yr and have looked at so many avenues..
I'm 46 and I don't have desire for another career.. Well I do but what's required is too much hard work.
I know I can't accept much stress and am looking at starting doing voluntary bits of work...
I like children and I like the idea of being a teaching assistant probably in a college..
I also like the idea of doing more than 1 role and not getting embroiled in politics.

Boatsetsailrose

Thanks blueberry I like the idea of teaching 1 to 1...
What do u teach if u don't mind me asking?

Blueberry

English as a Foreign Language and occasionally the language of the country where I live

Three Roses

Before I retired, the least stressful jobs I had were 1) substitute teaching assistant and 2) temp office assignments. Being temporary gives you a little distance from the inevitable office politics and also a little leeway in the area of on-the-job errors that are extremely triggering for me, no matter how much I tell myself that mistakes are unavoidable.

My SIL is a traveling nurse, if you're able to travel that might work for you, too. Best of luck to you.  :hug: