Toxicity in the House

Started by karbon, June 23, 2019, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbon

I've worked really hard in the last 7 years to create a home and a place to live that I am proud of. Making a safe space isn't always easy, especially when building out of nothing. I've become very protective and proud of the place I live in - the work it took to afford many deposits, upgrading furniture and decorations over the years. It didn't happen overnight and it wasn't easy. I always had the lease under my name until recently my landlord wanted my roommate (who's been living here about a year) to also be on the lease.

As soon as she signed the lease for a year things turned south. We're battling over the thermostat since she can't afford the electric bill so she wants it set at 80 degrees during the day (uhh it's florida girl??). We've gotten into tiffs about bills, about feeling it's rude of me to text her in the middle of the day when she is working with an update, to refusing to communicate, refusing to problem solve and compromise. It got so toxic so quickly I informed her this was the last year we would live together and when the lease is up we can go our separate ways. To which she told me "That's fine, you can move out. I'm comfortable here."

Re-living the conversation has me shaking. I've lived here three years longer than she has, with just my name on the lease. I've paid over $2,000 in deposits from the house to pet fee, and deposits on utilities. ALL of the furntiure and decorations are mine. I made this place my home for several years before I talked with her over a roommate app and decided to live with her (a horrible choice). I now feel like I have this poison living in my home I can't get rid of. I know it defies all logic that at the end of our lease the landlord would pick her over me (the rent has been reliably coming out of my account for the past 4 years and all the fees and communication are done by me). I have done so much hardwork on my ED, Anxiety and Depression and I refuse to let her set me back but I am so anxious over how the next ten months are going to play out.

Maybe it's her age and maturity, I just can't believe with how long I have lived here, she would have the pure audacity to tell me to move out because she's comfortable. This is my HOME. and I know for anyone who's had to fight for a place they feel safe, HOME is something they will defend.

Kizzie

I can see why you would be upset Karbon. I think if it came down to a dispute over who has more rights to the apt, you would b/c you have been there longer and have been a great tenant.  I don't know this for a fact though so it might be an idea to do a bit of research about this on the Internet or via an agency that can advise about renter's rights in your location. You might want to speak to your landlord as well and see what s/he has to say. 

Three Roses

I'm so sorry you're going thru this. Putting myself in your shoes, I'd feel invaded. I echo what Kizzie has suggested, to research your tenant's rights and see what legal standing you have, but it's a shame you have to deal with it at all.  :fallingbricks:

Tee

I agree with others. But also even if there's others on the lease there's usually still a primary secondary on the lease.  I would also talk to your landlord possibly even now to say things are not working out and ask how to remove her from the lease and your home when the year is up. Since they are the ones that made them sign the lease to begin with.