Supplements and vitamins + Diet

Started by Horse78, June 26, 2019, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horse78

Hi all,

At the beginning of the year, I posted about and was complaining of fatigue. Nordic winters don't help.

Anyways, I usually train using my body weight, and decided to hit the gym to gain some mass. This is about three months ago. And I was beyond fatigued - correct nutrition, correct form, but I could barely keep my eyes open, and I don't sleep well, which is essential for recovery from a heavy session.

So I switched back to my old routine that I knew I could complete comfortably, and again - falling asleep on the spot.

Did a 6 km bike ride - was so difficult, and I'm someone who used to cycle  100km a week.

I realised: I have to build my body from the ground up.

Like a lot of us here, I imagine we've achieved a lot on sheer will power. But at 40, I can't and won't do that anymore. My body won't let me.

Thankfully, a close friend, who has a similar diagnosis, and who takes a very holistic approach to all areas of their life, recommended a bunch of organic supplements and had gone vegan. I could see the changes in this person, who has been on sick leave for many years, and they are strong, clear eyed, feeling very solid.

So I stopped exercising and went vegan. I'm mostly vegetarian anyway, so it wasn't much of a strain. And I'm not strict or militant, but the changes have been wholly positive.

I take:
Morning:
B12 complex
Magnesium
Multi-vit
Vitamin C
Adrenal Suppplement to promote good function.
Omega 3 oil.

Afternoon - I take Omega 3 capsule again. Really supports my cognitive function.

Evening - Magnesium and CBD oil ( 2 drops) helps with feeling grounded and gets me sleepy.

Did the 6 km to work last week - no problem, could have gone on a lot longer.

Have started training again - taking easy, just body weight and gym rings, but much improved.

My mood is more even. I still have my triggers. And it's worse if I take alcohol or any other intoxicant. So I keep it to a minimum ( some good non alcoholic beers out there).

Still get tired if I don't keep this routine and sleep is so important. Feel even, solid, "correct" and can snap out of it quickly when I deregulate and the trauma casts it's shadow.

I've noticed my body can barely tolerate canteen food, fast food, anything that isn't made without good ingredients or contains crap. I feel crappy and my mood and outlook quickly deteriorate. Not being all superior, I'm just stating that what I put in my body directly affects my mood.

I would say my diet and the supplements have more influence on how I feel then the training.

Hope this helps.

H

Bach

Horse, thank you for posting.  I've found this to be very much the case for me, too.  I take a similar range of supplements to what you describe above, and eat as well I can (very difficult at times because disordered eating is part of my pathology, and I have digestive issues that greatly limit my dietary choices), and it makes a HUGE difference.  I cannot tolerate medication, so discovering that I can significantly moderate my trauma symptoms with diet, nutrition and exercise has been a huge step forward for me.  I wish you continued success and good health with your new routines!

Horse78

Quote from: BeHea1thy on June 26, 2019, 12:30:13 PM
Horse78,

If you were forced to choose one or two out of your list, which would you say were absolute necessities?

Hi BH,

I'ld say the multivitamin - for all round general health ( I'm short sighted and wear glasses and noticed  even that improved).

The magnesium is grounding - or so I've heard, but I take it with the CBD oil, which really does get me off to sleep.

The Omega 3 is excellent for cognitive function, I definitely noticed improvement in concentration in the afternoon.

If you're vegetarian/vegan - then B12 supplement is essential. In the past, I've noticed I get cold/flu like symptoms when I'm eating no red/white meat, so this helps.

It's not cheap, and raw/organic vitamins are more expensive then regular store bought vits, but the difference is obvious to me. I'm still experimenting and may iron to the regimen as well.

Best

H

Horse78

Quote from: Bach on June 26, 2019, 02:20:00 PM
Horse, thank you for posting.  I've found this to be very much the case for me, too.  I take a similar range of supplements to what you describe above, and eat as well I can (very difficult at times because disordered eating is part of my pathology, and I have digestive issues that greatly limit my dietary choices), and it makes a HUGE difference.  I cannot tolerate medication, so discovering that I can significantly moderate my trauma symptoms with diet, nutrition and exercise has been a huge step forward for me.  I wish you continued success and good health with your new routines!

Thanks Bach,

May I ask what else you take. I had a bad experience with medication 20 years ago and have never taken any since.

I expect I'll be stocking up on vit D come winter  :stars: