Exciting News - Our Voices Can Make a Difference

• 5 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Exciting News - Our Voices Can Make a Difference
« on: June 30, 2019, 11:24:12 PM »
I haven’t mentioned this before, but I joined the ISTSS Complex Trauma Special Interest Group  a few months ago and recently collaborated on a panel proposal for the organization’s 35th Annual Meeting in Boston this Nov.  The panel titled “Complex PTSD: Charting a Course Forward” was accepted I’m delighted to say!

This is progress b/c the ISTSS is more focused on PTSD than Complex PTSD (until recently CPTSD was not an official/sanctioned diagnosis). In June 2018 the WHO announced it would be included as a distinct diagnosis in the 11th version of the ICD, but it is still not in the APA's DSM, the second of two main manuals used by medical/MH professionals and insurers.

Panelists will include some well-known trauma researchers/clinicians notably, Dr. Judith Herman who first identified Complex PTSD in the 1990’s. The abstract for the panel reads as follows:

Complex posttraumatic stress disorder (C-PTSD) generally refers to a constellation of symptoms that could result from prolonged, chronic exposure to interpersonal traumatic experiences, often during childhood, in addition to symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) which is typically associated with more discrete traumatic events. In this complex trauma SiG-sponsored panel, experts from the field will address several critical issues associated with C-PTSD. Dr. Herman will present a historical perspective on the early development of the complex trauma conceptualization. Dr. Carll will provide a global perspective on complex trauma, highlighting her work with the UN General Assembly and the importance of diagnosis and treatment in primary care. Dr. Courtois will discuss recently published clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of PTSD with recommendations for their application to C-PTSD. Empirical data on the impact of childhood trauma on vulnerable populations will be presented by Dr. Karatzias; and Denny LeBoeuf, J.D., will provide a unique perspective on complex trauma within the legal system. The audience will be invited to join the panel in discussing methods to increase knowledge about this significant population. The session will conclude with a call to action from each of the panelists along with recommendations for future training, research and practice.

I sincerely hope this will prove to be a big step out of the shadows for Complex PTSD, perhaps even push the APA to include it in the DSM. This would go a long way toward better access to relevant/effective treatment, services and support. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:19:23 AM by Kizzie »

Tee

• View Profile
Re: Exciting News - Our Voices Can Make a Difference
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 05:43:46 AM »
That's awesome Kizzie! :cheer: :grouphug:

sanmagic7

• learn something from everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »
amazing!  so very cool, kizzie.  thanks for everything you do here and out there in getting c-ptsd recognized.  the day it gets into the DSM will be a hallmark event indeed.  one step closer - i love it!   :hug:

Boatsetsailrose

• Hello welcome - so glad I am here and you are too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:21:50 AM »
Has the meeting happened  yet kizzie?

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
It did last weekend Boats although I wasn't able to attend due to cost.  I have spoken briefly with my fellow Co-Chair from the CT SIG who did attend and she said the panel went really well.  We have a teleconference set up for next Mon so I hope to learn more about it and will pass along what I find out here.

The CT SIG meeting also went quite well, lots of ISTSS members wanting to sign up and be a part of our SIG which means Complex Trauma/PTSD is becoming higher profile.

The current ISTSS President Julian Ford (well known trauma researcher) told attendees he wants to work with the CT SIG more to raise the profile and awareness of CPTSD so it's a big step forward.  :cheer:

bluepalm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »
This is such powerful and valuable work you're doing, Kizzie! Thank you from my heart.
bluepalm