What do you think of this place?

Started by Gromit, July 03, 2019, 05:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

https://cotswoldcentrefortraumahealing.co.uk/psychology-mindfulness-body-oriented-therapy-list/

Just found this, hope I can post it. It is not in my town.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of this kind of therapy? I haven't, I don't think.

G

Blueberry

I've just read some of the website and I think it sounds really good. For example the description of trauma: "trauma can involve any experience that was experienced as frightening and totally overwhelming by you at the time." Wow! Far advanced in their definition I would say. I didn't see reference to cptsd per se, just to ptsd, but the way they refer to it makes me think they know full well.

I think I have experience of some of the methods, just with different names. If I were in the UK and near enough to this place and had enough money and had run out of therapy, I'd definitely contact this place and try them out. 

Gromit

Thanks Blueberry,
It does sound good but then don't they all? Can't find any mention of costs  :pissed:
I just looked at the schema stuff, I know the CBT person I saw last year (free on NHS but limited) mentioned schemas. I wonder if a consultation is free?
G

Blueberry

Maybe you could just talk to them on the phone and get a feel for them? My favourite trick question is "Do you have all the answers?" If the T says "Yes", I know that's not a T I can work with!

Gromit

Quote from: Blueberry on July 03, 2019, 10:01:26 PM
My favourite trick question is "Do you have all the answers?" If the T says "Yes", I know that's not a T I can work with!
So true!

Gromit

Wow, I found out how much it is, for an initial assessment of 90 to 120 minutes, of which you may need more than 1, it is £125-£250. That is the cost per hour for treatment too.

Most therapists I have seen have been around £40-£45 per hour.

Who can afford this treatment?

Kizzie

QuoteWho can afford this treatment?

Very few of us sadly.

Part of the reason I keep seeing is the mind-body split in health care which keeps physical and psychological health separate (this despite the fact that as we all know only too well they are one).  There would be better coverage if they were considered one not to mention better treatment as physicians and MH professionals talk to one another more and gain deeper insight into the effects of trauma.

I talk a lot about this on the OOTS Twitter feed so hopefully the message is getting out there in different countries.  The other thing I tweet about is the need in all countries for less expensive options like group therapy, distance therapy, psychedelic assisted therapy (has a much shorter treatment timeframe), etc. 

There are just so many of us suffering without the treatment, services and support we need. :grouphug:

Jazzy

£125-£250/hr sounds about right to see a psychiatrist around here... a big problem for me. Some of the places will give you a reduced rate if you have exceptional circumstances, but still.

Kizzie

I had a look through the site Gromit and wow, I would give my right arm to find a place like that - multiple approaches that attend to the whole person - mind-body-spirit which is what we so need. 

The cost though  :thumbdown:  I do know of one group that offers trauma treatment and support you might want to check into - Body and Soul.  I think they're brilliant - here's an excerpt from their site:

Body and Soul is built on love, kindness and a desire to understand one another. From the beginning, we created a 'healing community', inviting our members into an environment where everyone is keen to find out what happened to you before you met us, and what is going on in your life right now. This tenacious attention to the nuance of individual circumstances is the foundation of a genuinely systemic, whole-person approach to health and wellbeing. In dynamic dialogue with our members, we identify the most difficult aspects of their lives right now and take any immediate steps we can to resolve them, while also nurturing the practical, social and psychological factors that will protect them in the future.
body-and-soul-charity-hug

Members have access to a wide range of resources, including one-to-one activities like psychotherapy or legal advice, but also a rich and diverse programme of lectures, workshops and discussion groups, each planned thoughtfully based on latest research, member feedback and advice from a range of clinical experts.

The rigorous scientific basis for our work means we now have a 21-year track record of making a demonstrable positive difference in many thousands of lives, lending remarkable empirical support for our founding philosophy: no matter when you come to us or how trauma and adversity have affected your life, you can change, heal and grow.

Blueberry

Quote from: Gromit on September 23, 2019, 01:33:53 PM
Wow, I found out how much it is, for an initial assessment of 90 to 120 minutes, of which you may need more than 1, it is £125-£250. That is the cost per hour for treatment too.

Whoah, that's pretty steep, even if it's really good. I've paid for individual private therapy before with costs of about €50 to €80 for 50 minutes. Admittedly, €50 was a few years back.