New member joining

Started by cynditk, July 04, 2019, 06:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cynditk

HI everyone,

So glad to be joining this forum! I was diagnosed with C-PTSD last fall. My journey started in 2018 with the #metoo and #churchtoo movements, and with the subsequent symptoms I developed at that time which led me to a trauma therapist. I have been in therapy on and off for 20+ years and no one had ever diagnosed me with C-PTSD, so I had been undergoing therapy for depression but nothing else. I developed C-PTSD as a result of abuse and neglect suffered in childhood. As happens for many survivors who aren't treated for C-PTSD, this was ineffective and led to a cascade of additional trauma in my adult life: religious abuse, sexual assaults, and repeated unhealthy relationships.

Now that I have the correct diagnosis and am in the correct form of treatment, I am healing. The more I learn the better I heal. Apart from Internal Family Systems trauma therapy I also utilize mind-body healing- meditation, movement, nature, art. This approach works really well for me.

Im looking forward to participating here, learning and connecting with others, as we walk this road together.

Tee

Welcome cynditk I hope you find the help and support here that your looking for and that I have. :grouphug:

Three Roses

Welcome! You'll find a wealth of information and caring support here!  :wave:

Not Alone

Welcome. Sounds like you are making good progress in your recovery.

Kizzie

Hello and a warm welcome to OOTS Cyndi  :heythere:  Sorry to hear you weren't diagnosed correctly for so long, it's a common story here to be sure, myself included.  It can make such a difference to recovery/healing once you know what it is you're dealing with, have a trauma T who has experience and training with Complex PTSD, and people here who get what you're talking about.   :grouphug:

mikenoodle

Welcome cynditk.

I also recently joined this forum. I thought I was alone in what I was diagnosed with. This is the first place where I have felt like I'm actually pretty normal... for someone with C-PTSD

Kizzie

:yeahthat:  Our symptoms are normal responses to the ongoing, traumatic stress we endured. It really is not about us (defective, weak, crazy), but what happened to us.

mikenoodle

And this is what I need to realize inside. It seems counter-intuitive to think that the past can impact the present even if we don’t want it to.

This is my normal, and for me, I have to learn to accept that there’s nothing wrong with it.

a_bunny

Welcome! And thank you for sharing your story, and what has helped you. It is encouraging to hear how much progress you have made after the difficult things you have survived through.  :grouphug: