Reparenting experiment

Started by cynditk, July 09, 2019, 05:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cynditk

The knowledge of how the childhood neglect and abuse affected me long term is really beginning to land as I see the repeating patterns in my life.

the knowledge that my parents weren't just bad parents, they were bad people, is the hardest to admit and accept. The shame about that is massive.

In learning to trust myself, that is where my inner kids struggle the most- having an inner image of good parent figures to turn to when I need guidance, when I need to make good decisions for myself.  3/

This morning I tried imagining a mother figure that I connect with from a book, and asking her questions. I felt a shift inside- a hunger and willingness for that guidance- and it worked. I got the answer I needed. 4/

The emptiness in me where my internalized mom is supposed to be felt a bit less empty. Im going to keep trying this and see where it leads.

Hope67

Hi cynditk,
I think this is great that you were able to do this - the fact you felt a shift inside, and that it worked.  It sounds so positive.
Wishing you the best with this.
Hope  :)

Tee

That is very interesting.  My T seats I have to reparent myself too.  So much my abuse and neglect started so young that it's so deeply ingrained in my thoughts the I detest and defeat myself anytime I hit the tiniest bump in the road.  Good luck I'll be interested to see how your journey goes. :hug:

Three Roses

:cheer:

Remember, you're not a reflection of the people you share genetic material with. You are your own person. ♥️ I'm looking forward to hearing more about this!

woodsgnome

I love hearing that creative approach to navigating past the original parental neglect/ignorance and the subsequent shameful feelings that make you feel lost.

My prob stems not just from the awful parental situation, but from never regaining any trusting relationship with anyone else either, and it's almost like everyone (and thus all images) tweaks my doubts again. It's pretty lonely, though; so I like how you're creating your own approach to this, and it should prove interesting if you stick with this approach over time, and hope you'll be able to share some discoveries (good or bad) you make.