Medication & guilt

• 3 Replies

Marian82

• View Profile
Medication & guilt
« on: April 02, 2020, 08:40:10 PM »
I use a tiny bit of medication...a small childrens dose of antipsychotics and since a week a small dose of temazepam/restoril.

Im having a real bad time, but i dont want to use meds.

I feel it is against my faith. And i have trouble that i feel im covering up my real "evil" me and my real thoughts, feelings by a fake person.

When im off meds im overwhelmed though by thoughts of how horrible i am, all my past mistakes come before my eyes, and im terrified of afterlife. It feels like faking if i use meds to cover that up. I feel I should trust on God.

Anyone else who has issues taking meds? How do you deal with it?

Patticake

• View Profile
Re: Medication & guilt
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 04:46:59 PM »
Hi Maryann -  :wave:

I have had the same thoughts & feelings about taking meds. I felt, in the past, like I was being weak if I took meds, & that I was letting God down by not trusting Him more. I suffered so much from that thinking. God doesn’t want us to suffer & gives mankind medicine to ease pain, cure sicknesses, ease anxiety, depression & other mental problems.

I, personally, began to see significant improvement in myself when I made up my mind to stay on my medication, consistently.
I prayed & asked God to help me & He did.
There is no shame in needing medication to help us. I thank God for it. When I think about how much suffering there would be without medication, I shudder.

Please follow your Doctor’s advice in taking your medicine, and stop suffering needlessly.
I totally understand what you’re going through & I know you can overcome it because I did.

Stay connected here & know we are all here for you. Keep us posted on your progress. You can do this & we’re all rooting for you.
God bless you. You are in my prayers. :hug:

Marian82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 07:25:14 AM »
Thank you for your help and encouragement!

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 03:36:35 PM »
There is no shame in needing medication to help us. I thank God for it.

On top of the social stigmas surrounding mental health and medications, we who believe in God are sometimes unnecessarily pressured by our communities (or sometimes just our own beliefs) to rely on faith alone.

I have also struggled with this issue. I wanted to be strong enough, faithful enough, happy enough, without meds. So I tried coming off of them. It was not good. Now I'm back on them and feeling much, much better. The most important aspect for me is my ability to reach out to others who are hurting with cptsd, which I could not do when I was off of medication.

It's funny, but I don't feel the same about other things, like medicine for infections, or treatments for disease, or even casts and slings for injuries. And when you get right down to it, we are injured, not "sick". It comes down to that social stigma against mental illness. I don't believe God wants us to suffer when there is relief. We are more able to reach out and help others when we take care of ourselves first. 💗👍