New member - EMDR

Started by Tech, July 08, 2019, 08:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tech

Hello,

Please call me J. I'm 45 and only recently found out that I have CPTSD. It's a bit of relief to finally know the name of the demon. It's also a small relief to finally be able to make sense of the myriad of other health issues that can all be linked back to CPTSD.

With that said, it's a brief respite.

Mostly emotional and verbal trauma that has been festering and entrenching itself for 40+ years.

Recently had my 3rd EMDR session and it's quite painful. I've seen an uptick in my emotional flashbacks and I literally cry every single day. Just suddenly overwhelmed with grief. I don't quite understand all of this but from what I've gathered so far, it's part of the process. Going to be painful first before it gets better.

I did experience my first positive "re-association" of a recent traumatic event. It's a step in the right direction and I'm thankful for that.

Still overwhelmed by the techniques that I'm learning to try to break the episodes and all of the information to consume.

Thanks for listening.

J

Blueberry

Welcome to the forum, J :heythere:

Tee

Hi J welcome! EMDR is either really intense or doesn't work really well for cpstd or at least so it seems from what I've seen on here.  Good luck! 

I did it a while back and didn't really help not sure if I wasn't ready or what.  I hope that it will help you there's a lot of information here and people with experiences that I'm sure will chime in.  Welcome!

Three Roses

Hello, J! Glad you're here. There's a ton of information and lots of compassionate, supportive people. Thanks for joining!

Not Alone

sanmagic7

hi, j, and welcome.

i'm an emdr therapist and i hope you know that, as with any therapy, you can limit the pace so that it is tolerable.  if you are feeling overwhelmed, you have the right to talk to your t and let them know that you need a break or to go slower or whatever it is you need.  usually, between sessions, the brain continues to process, which may be why such grief feelings continue to come up for you.  just a suggestion to talk to your t about this happening every day, tho.  i would hate to see you pushed farther and faster than you are ready to go.  if you have any questions, feel free to pm me, ok?

glad you're here - this forum has made all the difference to me.  wonderful people.  i hope you find it so for you as well.  love and a  :hug: to you if that's all right.