LBB's Recovery Journal

Started by LittleBlueBird, July 18, 2019, 07:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBlueBird

Keeping a recovery journal seems to work well for others here, so I will give it a shot. I've just started over with a new job and new home, developed some new strong friendships and have a new set of attitudes. I've got to try very hard to keep my head above water and prepare myself for when the going will get tougher. So I'm working on building a strong foundation for those times. I'm thinking of this building as fortifying myself.

So my focus should be to:

* Keep my job, even if I find it difficult or challenging

* Keep up with friends even on the days I feel worn down. Acknowledge that I'm needed by other people and I shouldn't only be around when it suits me

* Sleep less in the day (power naps are okay but anything longer than 30 mins isn't good)

* Eat well - healthily and how I mean to eat for the rest of my life. Not snacking on unhealthy food or binging because others are or I'm having a low, not skipping meals because I can't be bothered to cook or wash up or don't feel hungry

* Keep up with my yoga practice, and meditate at least 3 minutes every day

* Not over spend when I feel like there's enough in the bank to treat myself/others, but save for a rainy day

* Keep self care a priority and not neglect myself if I feel like I don't deserve that care, or like it won't make a difference if I don't look after myself

That should do for now...

Three Roses

Inspirational! I think I'll make a similar list - thanks.  :applause:

Tee

Sounds great more than I can do at the moment. :applause:

Blueberry

:yeahthat:  But if the list is good for you, helps you LittleBlueBird, then that's great.

Keeping a recovery journal has been very good for me. I hope it's that way for you too.

LittleBlueBird

Well I've had a really good day and start to my long weekend. I managed to get to a yoga meditation session in the city and meet some new people. I managed 16,000 steps which is amazing for me, as someone who periodically sufferes with agoraphobia. Just sitting in the cafe after group, chatting, felt a bit surreal. Maybe I dissociated a little but I think it helped.

I did feel guilty that I was late to pick up my daughter. I struggle sometimes to find a family/friend balance. The kiddo didn't seem to mind though.

Meditating regularly has really helped with these negative thoughts, just to observe them and then deal logucally and appropriately.

Had a nice time with friends this evening too, although maybe wasn't my usual self. Perhaps just a little bit tired.

Someone mentioned recovery doesn't have to be perfect and that felt like a relief of a realisation. Negative self talk is under control (although my spending, after shopping today... :/)

Woke up to thunder and lightning which sounds pretty :)

Not Alone

Those are wonderful goals that you set. Glad you are also aware that recovery (and meeting goals) does not have to be perfect.

I also enjoy thunder and right now I'm hearing it from a distance. My dog, on the other hand, is not too happy.

sunflower38

Those are really good goals! Also, the thunder and lightning sounds nice, it's currently very hot here