Free Online Class "Healing From Childhood Trauma" Jul 29–Aug 6

Started by Kizzie, July 27, 2019, 08:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bach

I have problems with deep breathing too. Very interesting about the connection between that and trauma involving the neck and/or restriction of breathing. I remember at least two instances of childhood trauma around that, one especially severe. It wouldn't surprise me if there were other such occasions, although I suppose the two I recall would have been enough to cause issues.

I also bought the course because I knew there was no way I could constructively consume all that material in only a week. I'm still unable to take in more than a little at a time without getting overwhelmed, and panicking about every new thing I learn that resonates because I fear that there's just too much and it's just too late for me to ever heal.  That sends me right back to little B who has no idea why she exists, why everything hurts so much or whether there's any way out beyond the mythical promised land of "when I grow up".

Kizzie

"Why 'Take a Deep Breath' Can Be Terrible Advice" - Trauma informed article about breathing.

Excerpt - On the surface, it makes a lot of sense to tell people to take a deep breath. We commonly think of deep breathing as a way to slow down time, our breath, and ultimately our autonomic nervous system. But guess what — lots of people with chronic stress, post-traumatic stress disorder, or complex post-traumatic stress disorder, will find this act at best, damn near impossible, and at worst, triggering.

Snowdrop

This conversation reminds me of the book Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness by David A Treleaven. I haven't read the entire book yet, just the Kindle free sample, but it looks really good. It recognises that practices such as mindfulness can be triggering for trauma survivors, and offers modifications to minimise the potential dangers.

Not Alone

Good article, Kizzie.  Thanks for sharing. What the author said, rang true with my experience.

Kizzie

Notalone - Me as well :yes:  Same for working out way back when - panting and being short of breath felt way too much like a panic attack to me.  I would have loved to have a trauma informed exercise program available for reassurance, encouragement and slowly getting used to the healthier aspects of this type of breathing.

Snowdrop - Would love to hear your thoughts on the book when/if you read it. At first in recovery when I would try mindfulness it would tap into what I visualize as a raging hot lava flow in my mind of my trauma and I would end up overwhelmed.  It makes sense now that I understand but back then I just thought I was failing at something else in life.  :'(

Announcement: Just had an email from the organizers of this event. They've extended the date to  listen to the presentations for free - https://www.avaiya.com/healing/schedule/:

Healing From Childhood Trauma has spread to people far and wide, and we know so many of you registered during the last couple of days, missing out on several classes.

With that in mind...we'd like to announce that from right now until Monday, August 12th at 10am Eastern Time, you'll have access to watch ALL the classes we aired during the masterclass!

Blueberry

Quote from: Kizzie on August 06, 2019, 04:28:43 PM
"Why 'Take a Deep Breath' Can Be Terrible Advice" - Trauma informed article about breathing.

Thanks for this! :applause: :applause:  I've just read the article and it makes a lot of sense out of my experience and difficulties so far with yoga, breathing etc. But also with the huge benefits I find in mantra chanting.