Hello

Started by Snowdrop, July 28, 2019, 07:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowdrop

I'm so pleased this forum exists! I discovered it a few months ago, and a lot of the stories and experiences sound very familiar to me.

I was assessed as having C-PTSD early this year. I have a half-brother who is 8 years older than me, and throughout my childhood he was physically and emotionally abusive towards me. I've recently begun to realise that there was also some SA.

I was in denial about all of this for most of my life and pushed the memories away, but a couple of years ago they started to resurface. Researching trauma and C-PTSD have helped some of the pieces slot into place, and I'm beginning to see the impact that my early experiences have had on my life.

Tee

Welcome to the forum snowdrop. I'm sorry to hear about your story but like you said we all have stories.  There are a lot of very kind and supportive people here, and a lot of information.

Go at your own pace.  Welcome.  You are not alone and that should not have happened to you. :hug:

Three Roses

Welcome, Snowdrop! My older sibling is almost 5 yrs older than me, and it was a long time until I remembered the sa aspect. You're among people who understand here. Thanks for posting.  :wave:

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS Snowdrop  :heythere:  Glad you found your way here and decided to post  :yes:

Not Alone

woodsgnome

Hi, Snowdrop.  :wave:

Finding that you diagnose under the tag c-ptsd might seem scary at first, but as you learn more about it the hope is you'll find new perspectives with which to live with the symptoms, and to take steps towards loads of self-compassion which wasn't apparent before.

In other words, the diagnosis can be more like an invitation to discover new ways of dealing with it all. Such is the nature of discovery -- hard as it seems, we can at least catch a glimpse of some routes to feel better about life, and especially about ourselves.

Again -- Welcome!

Snowdrop

Thank you for all the replies, and for making me feel so welcome.  :grouphug:

I think that in a way the diagnosis was a relief. I suspected I might have C-PTSD when I first heard about it, and the more I read, the more convinced I became.

One of the things that messed with my head was that my sibling would always say I was asking for it, he hardly touched me, or that I was making stuff up, depending on what he thought he could get away with. It was easier for people to believe him than it was for them to believe me.

My diagnosis was actually quite validating. The assessor believed me, and my experiences weren't just dismissed as "all siblings fight", which has happened previously. My feelings about my experiences were valid, and my reactions were normal. It was the situation that was abnormal.

Tee

I'm glad that the diagnosis helped but sorry that life was bad enough you dropped cptsd. I hope you find comfort and healing here.  Welcome! :hug:

Kizzie

QuoteMy diagnosis was actually quite validating. The assessor believed me, and my experiences weren't just dismissed as "all siblings fight", which has happened previously. My feelings about my experiences were valid, and my reactions were normal. It was the situation that was abnormal.

:thumbup:  and   :applause:   It really is what happened to us versus us (i.e., being weak, overly sensitive or whatever).

Blueberry

Welcome to the forum, Snowdrop!

Quote from: Snowdrop on July 29, 2019, 07:51:20 AM
One of the things that messed with my head was that my sibling would always say I was asking for it, he hardly touched me, or that I was making stuff up, depending on what he thought he could get away with. It was easier for people to believe him than it was for them to believe me.

My sibling said those kinds of things too, he got away with a lot and yes people found it easier to believe him than me. You are not alone with that. Sometimes it helps to know other people had a similar experience and that it was part of their trauma and not just some insignificant thing the way FOO maybe said.  :hug:

I'm really glad the assessor believed you - that's really validating :-)

Hope67

Hi Snowdrop,
Wishing you a warm welcome.
Hope  :)