UK minister / protester

• 8 Replies

Snowdrop

• View Profile
UK minister / protester
« on: July 31, 2019, 07:19:14 AM »
I don't know if this is the right place for this, still new around these parts! But I felt I needed to get this out of my system.

===Possible TW physical violence ===

I'm currently feeling triggered by a recent incident in the UK. About a month ago, a male Government minister was filmed manhandling a female activist out of a building. I saw the video, and wish I hadn't as the violence of it shocked me. But it wasn't just the violence. It was the way that so many people defended it, applauded it, and said that she was "asking for it". I felt threatened and fearful for a few days after the incident due to the memories it brought back.

It's now in the news again because an inquiry into the incident has been closed. Our new PM views it as a matter for the previous PM who is no longer in power, so it's been dropped. I feel triggered again from the images and videos of the original incident, but also from the implication that this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

My feelings of being triggered will pass, but in the meantime  :stars:.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: UK minister / protester
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »
 I remember reading about that incident too, Snowdrop. In some media, people were shocked by the incident and also because of some people applauding it. Sometimes it's good to know that not absolutely everybody applauds violence.

Standing with you here. A gentle  :hug: if it feels safe.

SharpAndBlunt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 03:02:22 PM »
Hi Snowdrop, also in the UK here and share your feeling that this incident is appalling. Being dropped like this by the new pm sends really a signal that can't be ignored saying this is ok. I am also appalled by this.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »
Thanks, Blueberry and SharpAndBlunt. It helps to know I'm not alone. Feeling a lot better this afternoon, but I may need to go on another news diet at some point!

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »
I've been on news diets before too.

Also I think last year some people on the forum were being triggered by the behaviour of a certain politician in the US. It doesn't surprise me that triggering is starting up in the UK too, even if being influenced by a different politician. So you're definitely not alone in this, Snowdrop.

Rainagain

• New member 27/9/17 cptsd diagnosed 20/9/17 oh well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 06:48:16 AM »
I was shocked by the footage too.

I know quite a bit about the use of force, when it is lawful and when it is not.

This was unlawful and several offences were committed, criminal offences, serious offences.

Any police officer would say the same and the only reason there was no conviction is that the protester didn't want to press charges (I believe).

The police could still have brought charges but it's the government so if the victim did not complain they could let it slide.

Charges should have been brought in my opinion, that man is a violent offender and deserved to be prosecuted.

I remember that the day after the incident the man was apologising and weaseling, he had obviously been given legal advice that he had committed offences, I believe he resigned as well but anyone 'ordinary' would have rightfully been prosecuted.

I hope the victim wasnt pressured to let the matter go and was just as fully informed of the legal situation as the offender.

Jazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 12:05:08 AM »
I hope you feel better soon Snowdrop. I have been on a news diet for a long time, and I don't regret it. Ignorance is bliss... okay maybe not, but it is nice not to have all that negative news in my life all the time. Take care! :)

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 06:28:06 AM »
Thank you. I'm actually OK about it now. I still think it was shocking, a disgrace and more action should have been taken, but I no longer feel triggered by it.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 11:10:14 PM »
It's great that you're no longer triggered Snowdrop  :)