Sleep injuries

Started by Rainagain, August 06, 2019, 08:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainagain

My sleep is troubled, I hold my arms up to protect my head  most of the night. This has caused shoulder problems for me.

This last week I thought I might have heart trouble, I had pain and numbness in my left arm, back And chest.

Once I worked out it was actually damage caused by thrashing about in my sleep it was such a relief, I was expecting a heart attack.

It is odd to experience something as pretty alarming and then to not mind about it once you put it in its place. The pain isnt that bad, it was the anxiety as to what it might mean that was difficult.

Tee

:hug: I don't sleep well either I feel your pain.  I'm glad your heart is ok.  I hope things settle down for you soon. :hug: and understanding caring hug.

Three Roses

Jazzy

Hey rainagain!

I'm no stranger to going through * during sleep either. In my experience, I think it was from not properly dealing with all the stress etc. while I was awake. Maybe I could shut most of it out when I was awake, but can't do that asleep.

Hopefully it will calm down and you can find a healthier way to get your emotions out. Please don't ignore it though. Chronic pain is still damaging, so it probably isn't good to let it continue. Maybe in the short term (as an emergency response,) you can use some sedatives to help you sleep better.  Even a natural option, if that is more comfortable for, you would be better than nothing.

Good that the pain isn't too bad, and it isn't a heart attack. :)

Take care!

Rainagain

Thank you for the replies, had a really bad episode last night and the pain was intense, think it's a trapped nerve.

Not sure what to do, might try sleeping in a chair, might help?

Jazzy

Sorry to hear that. Sleeping in a chair is worth a try, or even just somewhere new/different might be enough. It really sounds like you should talk to your doctor about it though. I hope the worst of it passes soon. Take care! :)

Tee

Hugs  :hug: gently.  I hope you are able to find a way to sleep soon.  You may want to talk to a doctor though that sounds painful.

Rainagain

I cant imagine what a doctor could do, I could  fashion myself some restraint pyjamas I guess.

I've been  in a place of safety for the last 3 years and the sleep disturbance hasn't improved over time.

But thank you for the replies, being able to discuss it is helpful.

Kizzie

Just saw this Rainagain and wanted to let you know I used to do the same thing. For me it just went away on its own as I recovered. What about putting some sort of weight on your arms (like the Velcro weighted wrist bands people use to work out with)?  It might be enough to discourage the arm lifting :Idunno:

Tee

:hug: I was going to ask if you had tried any kind of wieghted blanket or I like Kizzie's idea of wrist bands to just help keep your arms from flailing.  It might help and messages to your brain and about where your arms actually are in space.  In occupational therapy we do this with stroke patients to help retain then Thier brains to know where their various body parts are.  By giving it extra weight it may help calm. Something too try maybe. 

I find a weighted blanket very calming and grounding.  Hope this helps.
:hug:

Jazzy

Yeah, that's some great ideas. How's it been going rainagain?

Rainagain

Thank you for all the replies.

I hadn't thought of wrist weights, that's something to look out for as it would probably work I guess. A genius level idea.

Kizzie, so helpful for me to know you used to have the same issue and it went away as you improved, I've had a very rough few years but things might improve in my life in a year or two so my subconscious might calm down.

Just knowing others have had it too helps a lot, I feel like such a weirdo with all my symptoms, no offence meant, I just do.

The trapped nerve has gone now thankfully, just soreness and weakness in the shoulders, not too bad now but the pain of the nerve was quite intense for a while there.

To be honest I spent much of one night moaning and rocking with the pain, it was bad and I have chronic pain so am used to a bit of suffering......oh well.

Kizzie

Glad your nerve pain has subsided RA.  :thumbup:

I'm going through a really bad time right now and guess what I started doing again?  Yup, the arm went up again (it's usually just one at a time) so for me it is definitely stress related.  It's such an odd feeling to wake up with your arm stuck up in the air so I may end up trying my own suggestion of wrist weights if it continues. 

Jazzy

Its great that your nerve pain has subsided. That can be really nasty. I hope both of you can find some more peace and be able to rest better.

Rainagain

Thanks jazzy, it was pretty bad.

Sorry you are having it happen again Kizzie, it's my left arm usually, it's more damaged and weak than my right as a result.

Actually, being right handed my left arm would be the shield arm leaving my dominant arm to defend myself so that sort of fits.

I'm profoundly messed up really, in big ways and in small ways, trauma reaches everywhere I think. I do think I can claim all this stuff as part of myself somehow, get a handle on it all so I can carry it, even if my arms aren't right........