Too Close to Home

• 9 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Too Close to Home
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »
This is a post is by one of our members who lives in one of the locations where the most recent mass shooting took place.

I can only imagine what a traumatic situation this is for you  and your family and friends, my heart really does go out to you.   Wrapping you and yours in care and support  :grouphug:

Hey everyone, I wanted to keep my anonymity so Kizzie agreed to post this for me because Iím having a really hard time.

Things are a mess here in my home down.  Just minutes away there was a mass shooting.  Itís just on the north end of town and Iíve been to that place so many times. My college, parties, dinners, movies it was a fun lively place to have a night on the town. Now what!?!? Itís ruined.

2 of my friends were there during the shooting. They were inside a building that the shooter didnít make it into.  They are safe but both shaken.

Iím even more shaken. Iím so upset! People are saying crass things, blaming mental illness for all of these shootings.  Trump called him a ďmentally ill monsterĒ.

I am tired of the stigma! We canít brand someone their whole lives for having a mental illness and most with mental illness are not violent!

Iíve heard things from people in town that the signs were there... there were red flags for this boy.  I even heard someone say he should have been locked up long ago.  Locked up for what? How about helping him!? Politics is politics but shouldnít we try to help people so they donít see this behavior as an answer?

Itís so hard to turn on the today show and see my local donut shop in the pictures.  My sonís school is about 100 paces from it.

I want to cry, scream something! But instead Iím stuck.... the tears wonít come.  Someone has put a knife in my heart and they keep twisting it.  I mostly just feel like Iím going to throw up and the overwhelming sadness.

Please hug the ones you love
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:38:52 PM by Kizzie »

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
Re: Too Close to Home
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »
I'm so sorry you've experienced a traumatic event like this so close to home! It really does make the world around you seem unreal. Hugs to you.  :hug:

notalone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
How do you wrap your mind and feelings around this? My heart aches for you.

Jazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 12:14:49 AM »
Sorry to hear it. When something like this happens so close, it can really shake your sense of security. It's good though, that you and your friends are safe.

Try not to worry too much about the judgmental people. Overall, the whole mental illness stigma (and help availability) situation has really improved in the last while.

Just take the time you need to process your emotions and and begin to heal from this. Take care of yourself, and let the tears do what they will.

Tee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 01:48:33 AM »
 :hug: to close for comfort.  Big hug :hug:

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
 :hug:

sanmagic7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
so sorry this has happened to you.  i hear you.

i think the 'mental illness' thing is an easy target to focus on, a distraction from seeing deeper issues at play, such as trauma, hate, frustration, powerlessness, and despair.  i totally agree with you that people need help to deal w/ what they're experiencing, what they're learning, what they're seeing and hearing, and how it's affecting them rather than to be called names. 

my heart goes out to you.  i can't imagine being in your situation right now.  we're here - thanks for posting.  thanks, kizzie, for allowing this to be anonymous.  you do so much to keep us safe here.   it's one place i have faith in.  sending love and a hug full of healing energy.  i only hope it might help.   :hug:

Jdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 04:20:56 PM »
I am so sorry for the crass comments, the blaming of mental illness, the whole ugly mess.  May you find peace and strength in the days ahead.  We are standing with you!

Hereís another shout out to Kizzie for keeping us safe here!

SharpAndBlunt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »
Agreed, comments on mental health so unhelpful, sad considering the office of the speaker.

I'm so sorry this has hit you so close to home, the pain must be awful. :hug:

Thanks also to Kizzie for this space.

Kat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
The whole situation is so awful.  Absolutely awful.  I am so sorry you are in pain.  Take good care of yourself.