Relaxing Activities That Aren’t Disassociative?

Started by plantsandworms, August 07, 2019, 10:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plantsandworms

I am really trying to cut back on TV watching because I find that it's pouring lots of fuel on my disassociation-prone fire. It got to the point where I was spending days at a time glued to shows I didn't even care about, drifting in and out of sleep and ignoring the outside world entirely and feeling generally helpless and hopeless.

I have switched to reading lots more books. However, I worry that I'm just disassociating in a more socially acceptable way. I find myself getting very absorbed in what I'm reading to the point that I will neglect other life responsibilities until I finish a book, and then feel very empty and depressed when the book is over. It almost feels like grief or despair.

So I guess I want to know, is my great love of reading something I also need to distance myself from while I work on my issues with disassociation? And are there other relaxing activities I can turn to in the evenings that will allow me to still be in my body? I've tried various fiber arts (crochet, embroidery) but they hurt my eyes and my carpal tunnel syndrome.

Tee

I like coloring and drawing but that might hurt your carpal tunnel too.  :grouphug:

Jazzy

Sounds like a tricky situation. I hope you find some good options.

Maybe you could try forcing yourself to interrupt what you're doing? That should at least break up the disassociation. I know I'm not the best at it, so I set a timer in another room, for an hour or so, which forces me to get up and go turn it off. Then, since I'm already up, it is easier to take a few minutes to clean , or shower, or step outside, or something. I've been doing that for a long time, and its getting easier now. Take care! :)

Three Roses

I personally really enjoy walking. Meandering is a better way to say it, haha. It lets me be in my body and for some reason I find it easier to remember to breathe. Barefoot is best for me. If I can't be barefoot or if I'm hurting too badly to walk, sitting out in a place with trees and plants is a good option for me. A nursery, a park, etc. Hope this helps.  :hug: