Accepting a PTSD diagnosis?

Started by Jazzy, August 26, 2019, 11:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzy

Here is a snippet from my journal entry I wrote today. I'm wondering if anyone can relate to this, and what, if anything has helped resolve it.

QuoteI really feel like it is not okay for me to have any sort of PTSD. There is probably a lot more to it than I realize. I don't know why I have such a cognitive dissonance about this. I know what I've been through, I know the affect it has had on me, I know how I struggle with the symptoms every day, and have for many years. What I don't know, is how to make peace with this fact.

In other words, as title says: How do you make peace with having a PTSD diagnosis?

Bach

I try to focus on the opportunity the diagnosis gives me to understand why I suffer, and learn better ways to deal with my difficulties so that I can be less unhappy in the future.

woodsgnome

Any diagnosis, in the end is merely a pointer with some general info associated with the particular category. It might indicate an overall pattern, but the details are within and for each person to consider how and what to do with the info.

At least that's my view of these labels. I used to also cringe at some of the descriptions but I've learned since they're more like temporary and imperfect ways of trying to make sense of what otherwise can feel so senseless.

While any diagnosis can be helpful, it's not necessarily a destination that dooms one to what's described; because we can work to change how we fit into the descriptions and/or change our reactions and attitudes towards them. Either way, the labels are only starting points containing a few common features that could be factors in what's going on.

Three Roses

My ptsd diagnosis led me eventually here, to this forum, where I discovered cptsd and the difference between it and ptsd. Cptsd is a better, more accurate fit for me. This forum has answered questions I carried for decades. I've found validation and, for the first time in my life, a community of people who are like me and who understand why I'm different.

Snowdrop

For me, it helps to know that there's a reason why I am the way I am. Knowing that it's a normal reaction to abnormal circumstances.

Blueberry

Jazzy

Thanks for the replies everyone. There certainly has been good come out of it for me. I have the opportunity to interact with all of you here. I have learned a lot, been encouraged and inspired, and have done some significant healing.

Maybe I didn't word it too well though. It's not the being diagnosed part I'm so much concerned about, but what it means to actually have CPTSD. It feels like I've been cheated out of so much in life; like I have been hijacked and my life has been taken over. I feel so weak being affected by all these symptoms... and if there was one thing I was never allowed to be, it was to be weak. Most of my life I couldn't eat properly or sleep through the night. I just want it to all go away, and for everything to be okay.

woodsgnome

Everything you point out is so true -- perhaps the saddest part is that none of the past events can be reversed.

I share that sense of loss and then some; a few years ago I even did a little visualization where I left all that old senseless pain in what I call the graveyard of lost illusions. I know I can't go back there, and it makes me sad not to be able to reverse the memories that haunt me - yet I'm still here, wandering along and trying to find a way forward. Sometimes it feels like progress; other time I feel like a failure. Still there's been enough tiny steps forward to keep me on the new path.

A path we're sharing. Here's the deal -- you survived! The weakness you fear is only that -- a fear; because having survived indicates that weakness was only a chapter in that old story.

Regardless of what others say or think, you survived  :thumbup: and are trying hard to make sense of what seems so senseless.  Some can call it weakness if they want, but to have survived puts at least that fear aside.

:hug:

Kizzie

QuoteIt feels like I've been cheated out of so much in life; like I have been hijacked and my life has been taken over.... I just want it to all go away, and for everything to be okay.

Me too Jazzy

:grouphug:

Blueberry

Quote from: Kizzie on August 28, 2019, 03:32:05 PM
QuoteIt feels like I've been cheated out of so much in life; like I have been hijacked and my life has been taken over.... I just want it to all go away, and for everything to be okay.

Me too Jazzy

Me too pretty often. I get sick of constantly having to work on myself just in order to manage daily life. So, yes, please just go away, cptsd.

Bach

Quote from: Blueberry on August 28, 2019, 10:18:12 PM
Quote from: Kizzie on August 28, 2019, 03:32:05 PM

Me too Jazzy

Me too pretty often. I get sick of constantly having to work on myself just in order to manage daily life. So, yes, please just go away, cptsd.

Isn't that the worst?  Everything is so much harder than it should be.  I always thought that was because I was lazy and useless, but now I have come to understand that because I constantly battle all the stuff that is going on in my brain that my abusers put there that I barely even know about, I have to work as hard to do the basics of life as my husband has to work at his job.  I get angry at the unfairness of that, especially when I think about the creative talents I have that I will never get to develop or exploit because there's just not enough energy for anything but basic survival.

Anjulie

I feel weak very often, too.  Most of my energy goes into working on myself, just to manage the basics. As some of you have said, I'm fed up with this. I want it to go away, to be happy.
But, as I read this thread I realize that it helps me so much at the moment that I am not alone in this. It makes it easier for me to accept my condition.
And then I am so angry at all the unfairness. When they take so much away from you and then tell you that you're not allowed to be weak.
Besides, I would like to find another word for weak in my life. A word that holds in it the survival but also the frailty and the struggle. I don't know one, I'm still looking.
Maybe it will be a sentence.

Three Roses

It may feel weak to me from time to time, to feel like I'm struggling so much, but struggling doesn't make me weak - it makes me a fighter. 💪

Jazzy

I'm glad some good came out of this. Let us know if you find the right word!