Traveling with Complex PTSD

Started by grace4, January 02, 2020, 10:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grace4

Does anyone else have a hard time traveling with complex PTSD? I'm currently away right now for a little birthday trip with my husband. I've been having a wonderful time today visiting one of my favorite cities where I used to live. It's a very familiar place which I thought would help ease my anxiety. I've been trying to overcome some of my fears though so that I don't stay isolated, traveling being one of them. But perhaps it's been too much? I'm currently wrapped up in bed with twinkle lights on and some candles lit trying not to have a panic attack feeling really shaky. It's so frustrating! Can anyone relate?

Not Alone

Too bad we can't take a vacation from cPTSD. I take "time-outs" as needed and able. It sounds like good self care for the lights candles and being wrapped up in bed. Sorry it's hard right now.

grace4

I know, right? That would be so nice! Thanks so much! Time outs are a great idea, I definitely need to do more of that so I don't end up overwhelmed. 🤗💕

arale

I find that hot baths help.

Imagining you in your warm bubble bath in a fancy hotel, maybe even a rubber ducky or two... but you're probably home by now

RecoveryRandal

I've traveled a lot for work and have had to manage my emotions while on the road or in the air. I love visiting old and new places, but it can be challenging.

Firstly, I over prepare. By planning everything, researching where I'm going, double-checking reservations, and deciding what I need to pack all gives my busy brain something practical to focus on.

I put a lot of thought into what I'm wearing. Having layers on makes me feel more protected. For warmer climates, though, I have to make do with looser clothing that doesn't make me feel restricted.

Think about what comfort items you'll need. For me that's at least one book (whether is read it or not), a notebook (whether I write in it or not), and my old, worn zip hoodie. If you didn't pack something like that, maybe stop by a book store or wherever and get yourself a little something that reminds you of who you are/makes you feel comfortable.

Remember your wellness routine. For me that's daily exercise and meditation. That can easily be thrown off with travel. But it's also easy for me to substitute my usual workout routine with lots of walking around the place I'm visiting (bonus if it's a park or other nature spot). Also, staying hydrated is key for me.

Sleep is challenging at the best of times for me, and  travel can throw it off even more. So, I negotiate with my partner about when we'll get up (he's a morning person), when we'll take a nap, and when I need a break from stimulation. He usually knows when crowds are getting too much for me, and he'll pull me into a little bookstore or a quiet cafe where I can reenter myself.

I hope this helps!

Bach

I can definitely relate.  I have always travelled a lot for both personal and business reasons, going all the way back to childhood.  I adore the sense of adventure that comes with travelling, but the stress and anxiety that also come with it are so painful and frustrating.  The stresses of travelling vary a lot with the conditions under which I'm doing it.  Something I've discovered is that it's not a good idea for me to overeconomise on the basics like accomodations and transportation options.  I mostly have to travel on a fairly tight budget, so for my trips, I look for whatever luxury that I can afford, whether that's decent hotel with a swimming pool on a one-night stay, a flight at a more schedule-friendly time of day, taking nights on the road during a road trip instead of trying to get to the destination more quickly, a taxi to and from the airport instead of public transportation, etc.  When I plan a trip, I must think very carefully about how long a trip I'm taking and how much activity I'm anticipating on that trip in order to determine how much of the budget should go towards my comfort, and which particular comforts will best soothe the trip's situation-specific anxieties.  For me, that is now essential to coping with travel.