Starting to heal

Started by mikenoodle, September 08, 2019, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikenoodle

***PRE-EMPTIVE APOLOGIES FOR A LONG POST***

Yesterday I returned to youth coaching. Bowling, for the record, as I bowled in college and still love to bowl competitively.

Yesterday was the best day that I have had in several years.

Originally, I was coaching when I worked at my old job. When they laid us off, I had to take 2 jobs to replace the income and I had to work on Saturday mornings.

When I took my current job, the part time money helped, and so I kept the part time Saturday job.

The owner of that store suddenly decided to close in March of  this year. I was given only 2 days notice, but I had been promoted recently at work and so I seriously was starting to question the value of working 6 days per week.

Yesterday felt like such a success! The kids (age 7-12) are just at the age where you can teach them solid fundamentals and really have an impact on their game for years to come. It is also an age where bowling should be play and it should be fun, so coach Mike has only 2 rules: Rule #1: Bowling is fun. Rule #2: If bowling isn’t fun, do something fun instead.

Meeting the kids for the first time is fun, I try to take a very positive and cheerleading attitude when I am coaching them and sprinkle in a little bit about swing mechanics, balance, lane conditions, targeting, and of course, lane courtesy.

The parents are always funny, especially the first week. They’ve got to let you know about their child’s needs, strengths and weaknesses. I have one Dad that is a little overbearing with his son in his coaching. Fortunately, we have a policy of no parents in the settee area, so the boy just stays up by the lane and I can coach him independently of his Dad. He already commented that bowling was more fun yesterday.

By the end of the session, the kids were smiling and happy, I had made some new friends, and earned the trust and respect of more than a few parents.

This is a huge thing for me. I haven’t felt this type of satisfaction in a very long time. When I broke down a few months ago, I hoped that a day like this would still be possible.  I believe that this was a huge step for me, and I wanted to share.

I hope that it encourages others to keep working at getting healthy.

I’m sorry for rambling but I felt like I should explain why I coach and why it means so much to me.

Three Roses

That's awesome! So glad you're doing something you love. Inspiring & encouraging!  :cheer:

Blueberry

SharpAndBlunt

Hi mikenoodle, it's great to hear that you are recovering and getting and creating joy from again doing something you love. Thanks for sharing.  :)

Not Alone

Thank you for sharing. That is fantastic!  :cheer: