Too much EMDR - brain fog??

Started by johnram, April 17, 2020, 06:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnram

hi all,

i want to understand from others how EMDR may impact you negatively.
I think its helped me a lot but concerned its now a barrier to my recovery given it keeps the brain churning memories and "processing"

what are peoples thoughts and experiences?
thanks

Blueberry

I'm one of those who hasn't had EMDR because my T was concerned I'd be one of those who would get flooded, things would come up too fast, I wouldn't feel in control etc etc.  Afaik these are some of the negative things which are a worry with EMDR. It's just not suitable for some people with cptsd especially if you have a lot of retraumatisation in your past, especially by therapists.

My experience with therapy is that any kind can keep the brain churning memories and processing, maybe because part of you feels it is just time to get on with it or you're ready to get on with it. If you need to slow it down for some reason, e.g. not to overwhelm you or to leave energy for your job, grounding exercises can help, as can imagination exercises e.g. I learnt to put churning memories in an imaginary bank vault and later I learnt to roll up my therapy session and leave it in my T's office.

sanmagic7

hey, johnram,

i'm both an emdr therapist and am currently doing emdr w/ my own t.  yes, the brain can continue processing between sessions. if it's too much, i think it's important to talk to your t about it.  you may need a break from it to discuss the processing that's going on.  the pace may need to be slowed down.  if it's possible to be able to talk to your t between sessions, that might help as well.  many emdr therapists recommend that you write what comes up for you between sessions as well.  i found that writing can help get it out of me and onto the paper, like it's a safe holding place for what i'm experiencing.

i often have one session of emdr processing, while the next session is basically me talking about what i've processed, and we can set up new targets for the next time.  please remember that this therapy, like any other, needs to go at your own pace, and that sometimes the therapist doesn't always know exactly what it is.  the more details you give to your t, the easier it is for them to know how to proceed with you.

i hope any of this was helpful.  if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.  love and hugs,  :hug: