Woman's DID alt personality allowed to testify

Started by Three Roses, September 25, 2019, 04:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three Roses

This Australian woman suffered horrible abuse and developed DID. Her story is that of a wounded person who fights for her vindication, pursuing her f to put him in jail for what he had done.

An Australian court gave one of her alternate personalities the permission to testify in court against her f. This personality was the one who held the memories, which were unavailable to other alts. An illuminating, educational, inspiring story of a survivor's journey through unspeakable horror.

EXTREME TW Although the explicit details are not discussed, there is enough information given here that you know what she endured.

https://youtu.be/lsXFcbPbvI4

Kizzie

Wow, just wow.  I loved it when her T said DID is NOT an illness, it an ingenious way of saving yourself from unthinkable and inescapable trauma.   

I think all relational trauma survivors need to look at things this way, as having done ingenious, amazing, clever things to survive.  :yes:   :thumbup:     :grouphug:

Three Roses

Yes, I loved that part, too. 😊 There was so much good info in this video. I think Australia is leap years ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to trauma awareness.  :thumbup:

Not Alone

Three Roses: I didn't watch the video for fear of being triggered, but it is great that one of her alters was allowed to testify. Thanks for sharing this.

Kizzie

The woman's name is Jeni Haynes if anyone wants to look it up vs watch the video. 

It's an amazing story of survival, tenacity and justice in which together with her therapist and a police detective who believed her (many didn't), takes her father to court. He confessed after listening to her alters testify (each alter had detailed memories), what he had done to her and he was packed off to jail when Jeni was almost 50. Her father was 76.

It took her a very long time, but she went to university and ended up getting her undergrad, masters and doctorate so she would be more knowledgeable about  DID and the law, and probably I would think so she would be believed.  That's one of the reasons I got mine actually. I sincerely hope survivors of relational trauma don't have to go as far as getting degrees in the future to be more 'credible witnesses' to their own trauma. 

Anyway, it's a horrifying story and yet oddly hopeful and positive because she did hold her father accountable legally and that meant everything to her.  She is determined to get on with her life, to travel and enjoy herself to balance out all that happened to her.

Incredible story, tks again TR, it really touched me.

Snowdrop

I heard the story on the UK news. The coverage was very trauma-aware and positive, despite the horrific circumstances. I have so much respect for her.