Healing From Trauma-Jasmin Lee Cori's Chapter Summaries 1-3

• 3 Replies

BeHea1thy

• View Profile
Healing From Trauma-Jasmin Lee Cori's Chapter Summaries 1-3
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:35:41 PM »
Chapter 1 Ten Points to Remember (author's formatting)

1. During traumatic events, you feel helpless and overwhelmed. Having some capacity to take effective action or being unaware of a life threat protects you from the impact of otherwise traumatizing events.

2. By overwhelming you, trauma changes your physiology, your experience of yourself, and your world. No wonder things feel different!

3. There are reasons behind our differing abilities to bounce back after trauma. Some traumas are more debilitating than others, and we aren't all blessed with the same protective factors that would help us deal with trauma.

4. Having a lot of bad things happen to you isn't a reflection of you. It's simply what happened, and (unfortunately) you have more to shoulder than the average person. Carrying a greater burden can, with work, translate into greater strengths.

5. To be violated by a person you trust and depend on has much wider effects that impersonal trauma like natural disasters or violence by a stranger.

6. Even traumas we have pushed outside out consciousness affect us deeply. They affect our nervous systems, our bodies, our reactions to events, our choices, our feelings about ourselves and others, and many other aspects of our experience. Out of sight is not out of body/mind.

7.Support mitigates the effects of trauma. If you can get support after a devastating event, it will most certainly help.

8. Undigested trauma often leaves us bitter and brittle. When you can integrate what happened and heal your system, you become happier and more resilient.

9. Doing the work of healing does involve opening to hurt and terror and whatever else was too much to feel at the time. But the suffering has a purpose and won't go on forever.

10. You can't change what happened, but you can change its imprint on you. You can heal. This will not happen automatically, but it can happen if you give yourself over to the process of healing.

Chapter 2 Ten Points to Remember

1. Understanding how trauma affects the body can help you understand your symptoms, and you can stop blaming yourself for them.

2. When we can't use our natural responses of fight or flight in a crisis, we become paralyzed, frozen. In trauma studies this is called freezing or the immobility response. During this state, our physiological arousal, incomplete defensive responses, and emotions get stuck in the body. It is believed that most trauma disorders result from this mixture of frozen elements.

3. Animals recover from shock and trauma by physically shaking it off, releasing its charge. We could do this too. (Some therapies facilitate this process.)

4. Repeated trauma sensitizes the system more and more, so we become less and less able to deal with new stressors or even high levels of stimulation that are common to modern life.

5. Our responses to trauma usually involve both arousal and shutting down. In trauma disorders we often go back and forth and have symptoms of each.

6. When we experience a threat to our survival, we're primarily operating out of the oldest and simplest part of our brain. Although this has survival value, life is very flat without our higher brain centers turned on. If you are experiencing this flatness, it may be that you are chronically in some kind of physiological alarm state.

7. When the emotional brain is all revved up, it overshadows the higher cortical centers. This is why it is so difficult to concentrate, think clearly, and remember at such times.

8. Trauma is dysregulating to the body and especially the nervous system. This inability to keep ourselves within the normal bounds leads to a life that is chaotic and often in crisis. The good news is that our natural abilities to self-regulate (to balance and manage our energy flows) can be restored. This will take practice.

9. Clearing and retraining the nervous system (reestablishing self-regulation) leads to more flexibility and resilience.

10. Oscillation is a critical tool. If we don't practice moving back and forth between our negative and positive experiences, we will get stuck in the negative. This is just the way the brain works. We have to consciously introduce change.

Chapter 3 Ten Points to Remember

1. Our bodies don't lie. Trauma leaves "footprints" on the body as well as in every other part of our lives.

2. A high level of trauma leaves people feeling overly sensitive to just about everything. We will be particularly sensitive to anything that reminds us of the trauma. These reminders are called triggers, and when we are triggered, we will often revert to feelings and behaviors that were present in earlier traumatizing situations.

3. When things are too much for us to stay present, we find a way to leave, even if only psychologically. Dissociation is a pattern of splitting off some part of yourself when you are uncomfortable. It is a response to a consciously or unconsciously felt threat. When you are dissociated, you will generally feel spacey, find it hard to think or feel, and feel disconnected from your body.

4. Another defense is simply to numb yourself so that you don't feel. If you're buried in rock, you don't need to "leave."

5. Often there are cognitive losses that accompany trauma, and you may sometimes wonder what's wrong with your brain.

6. Memories of traumatic events are often like shards that have shattered everywhere. Our memories come in bits and pieces, usually in ways that are far too intense. It is not normal memory that is operating when you are recalling trauma.

7. Very rarely could we have done something to prevent our trauma. Yet the helplessness of the situation is hard to bear, so we blame ourselves and feel guilt rather than feel at the mercy of forces we can't control.

8. We contract in trauma to become a smaller target, and tragically, we often stay contracted, in very small lives, in an unconscious attempt to stay safe.

9. Often we feel vulnerable and unprotected because our energetic boundaries are in some way still broken. Therapists trained in boundary work can help you repair this.

10. Trauma rocks your world. It can be hard to imagine how others go along so blithely, creating their futures, as if one could control that. Those who have experienced a lot of trauma don't have this basic confidence in things working out. This makes it much harder to rest in the world.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:29:20 PM by BeHea1thy »

mourningdove

• View Profile
Re: Healing From Trauma-Jasmin Lee Cori's Chapter Summaries
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »
Wow - thanks, BeHea1thy!  :yourock:

steamy

• View Profile
Re: Healing From Trauma-Jasmin Lee Cori's Chapter Summaries 1-3
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »
Cool post, I have just been looking up some of the physiological changes in the brain that help to shape us.

"Those who have experienced a lot of trauma don't have this basic confidence in things working out. This makes it much harder to rest in the world. "

This is exactly what I have been experiencing, and have so little hope that things will be OK, I have lost my job so many times that I now have no optimism of getting another job, if and when I do I don't expect that it will work out.

My thoughts of my own place in the world and its future are becoming more common, it's sad that many of these problems and my struggle with them will ever be recognised by anybody in the world. More likely just that I will be seen as the guy who didn't fit in or a guy who couldn't keep a job and provide a home for his family. Time is moving on, I am almost 50, I have only 15 years to think about how I might support myself in my old age.

It is comforting to think that I fit the model, less of a comfort that I don't know how  I will overcome the obstacles and solve the long term sustainability issue.

BeHea1thy

• View Profile
Re: Healing From Trauma-Jasmin Lee Cori's Chapter Summaries 1-3
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 09:04:58 PM »
Hi Steamy,

One of the things that survivors must hold on to is that we never, ever, ever give up.

I've taken a portion of your comment and edited it for another purpose.
I will overcome the obstacles and solve the long term sustainability issue.

I've chosen to leave the uncertainty behind. And this is not a preface to some Normal Vincent Peale optimism but a way to shifting focus to your ultimate goal, which is finding ways to overcome obstacles, even though you may not know today how to do that.

Being open to living with uncertainty is (I'm told) part of life. I personally wish I knew almost everything before it happens. But I have enough trouble with figuring out how to handle myself in the most mundane circumstances, never mind in crisis.

In my 60 something years of living, I've fallen apart 3 times. It takes years to recover. But I find that concentrating on accomplishments, despite the deficits, puts me in a much for positive mindset to grab onto opportunities. In addition, I have been able to stop engaging in frustrating one way, unfulfilling relationships which sapped my energy. This includes employment!

Keep faith in yourself. You can do it.