UK - New Survivors Hub F2F Peer Support Group - places available

Started by Author Anna, October 03, 2019, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Author Anna

Hi everyone,

I was talking about the Survivors Hub women's peer support group on OOTS back in January and it has taken us this long to establish a solid organisational structure, get funding, systems, policies and staff in place for our project.  :stars:

I now feel confident that we have a great team and are ready to progress with our Survivors Hub, build a community under the guidance of qualified peers.

If you live or work in or around Bedford, UK, there a few places left to join, and so we have set another date: Saturday 12th October 12pm-2pm, at the Premier Inn, Riverside Development, First floor bar/restaurant, when you'll be able to meet holistic therapist and teacher, Tracy Handley, who is the group's facilitator. See Tracy's website here to find out more:  https://www.tracyjoanneholistics.com  I am the group's co-ordinator, and I'll also be there offering cups of tea and coffee and answering any questions you might have.

If you are already working on your recovery and would like to connect with others on a similar journey, maybe pick up some new tools and ideas for better health in mind, body, and spirit, why not pop along?

I assume that if you are a member of the OOTS forum you know a little about CPTSD. However, if you're not sure, here's the link to OOTS' list of common symptoms:  https://www.outofthestorm.website/symptoms

Recovery Code X is the name of the organisation a small group of survivors set up to fill a gap in services and apply for funding for the Survivors Hub.

Our vision is of a trauma-informed society in which holistic healing methods are accessible to all survivors of prolonged abuse whether experienced in childhood or adulthood.

Compassion is balm to the soul.
Love overrides trauma.
Wounds can heal.
A better life is possible.
:grouphug:  :grouphug:
:grouphug:

Please let us know you are coming in advance so that we can make time for a cup of tea/coffee and a chat with you.
Email: recoverycodex@hotmail.com or message us on Facebook: @RecoveryCodeX or Twitter @RecoveryCodeX

Pre-booking is essential.
A commitment to monthly attendance and feedback on the course is important.
Donation only.

Anna

Kizzie

Hope everything goes well as you roll out Anna.  You are one of very few face-to-face support groups anywhere that trauma survivors can connect, learn, share, heal/recover so bravo to you for taking this on.     :applause:    :thumbup:     :cheer:

Would love to hear from you from time to time about how the group is going  :yes:

Author Anna

Hi Kizzie and all,  :wave:

Pleased to announce that our trademark (logo) has been successfully registered and today we received our Registration Certificate from the Intellectual Property Office.  :cheer:

Our beautiful new posters have been printed, and tomorrow two of us will display them in prominent places in town.  ;D

The priority now is getting a few more people signed up to the Survivors Hub, people (age 18+ women to be precise) who are already on some kind of CPTSD recovery journey, who are looking to connect in a safe environment - the kind of people who could benefit from the kind of support we're offering.

We are in the midst of a PR push to get the word out and build our profile. What I am perceiving is that not enough people know about us, and when survivors do find us, they need to know they will be in safe hands.

Complex PTSD naturally makes people wary and fearful; the CPTSD brain functions differently, as we know, so this task of communicating is even more important. Today, we received an invitation to appear on local radio, not the BBC this time, but a community radio station. You have to be brave and step into the spotlight and assume people will be glad you did.  I have to admit, since forming Recovery Code X, I have had to put aside many of my own fears and insecurities in order to make things happen. Even with my training in marketing and journalism (while battling CPTSD) it's still a big leap. I probably wouldn't have been ready a year or two ago, but it seems that I am now.

This project is turning out to be quite life changing. Another development is that I am in my first term of a one year course in psychodynamic counselling, which is proving intensive but fascinating and rewarding. I am finding that all those CPTSD books I've been reading, eg Pete Walker, Bessel Van Der Kolk, Judith Herman, have given me an advantage. I chose the psychodynamic approach over the humanistic/person centred and cognitive behavioural approaches because it acknowledges the influence of the past on the present, notably the unconscious - originating from Freud's work. I am keeping an open mind on it as it's early days and could lead to the two-year diploma if I am successful and the psychodynamic approach feels right.

That's all for now. Hope to update you further in a few weeks time.

Thanks for all your interest and support for our project. OOTS  :yourock:

Blueberry