Any 55+ Thrivers who think, “I’m ready for more but, what?”

Started by micmacin, October 26, 2019, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micmacin

In retrospect, I'm not sure how I made it this far! Probably a combination of genetics, spirituality, along with some sweet souls who were there when I needed. By all intents, I am successful professionally as a Hospice Social  Worker.  I am now a grandmother, awaiting a second grandchild and have wonderful Colleagues and friends.
But, I'm now 62 and I don't believe I have ever known love as an adult, by an adult. My continuum seems to be, I don't trust anyone but, love everyone. I still have days when if I didn't have some responsibility to something outside of myself, I feel I have no purpose. Over all, all my symptoms have improved but, I will still disassociate and can have emotional flashbacks in some situations. Not so bad in the scheme of my life. I am thankful for my strengths, my intuition, sense of humor and most of all, the ability to see the strength in others. I feel I am ready to move forward, to take a next step but, I don't know what that step is. I've been in this "meantime"  for too long and I don't fear I'll loose all I've learned but, I'm stuck. Anyone else out there at a similar threshold, who want more but, can't seem to step out of that self that makes everything we do so much harder?

Kizzie

Welcome back Micmacin, I see you haven't been here for a while  :heythere: 

I too am in my 60's and not stuck so much as wondering how much more time I should invest in recovery/healing. It's been a bit of a slog as I'm sure you know and I have wondered a lot recently if I should just invest my time in having more fun, traveling, etc. I'm well enough now, but like you still have symptoms just not as frequently or (generally) intense as they used to be.

I just moved close to a large city from a rural location and there is a lot more choice so I'm hoping to find some therapy that is mind-body oriented versus just talk. While talk therapy helped, based on what I've read I suspect some of the trauma is physical and needs to be released. Anyway, I'm willing to give some somatic oriented therapy a go and see if that takes me a step further. 

Jazzy

I'm younger, but can definitely relate to "I'm ready for more but, what?" I think I have processed and understand what I've been through, so now I just need to actually change my behaviours/reactions... but how? I don't know how to get past all the nastiness of what living with CPTSD encompasses.