Issues with Over/Under Eating - Part 3

Started by Kizzie, October 31, 2018, 06:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

Not sure if this will get lost on this thread so please move elsewhere if it helps.

This summer I struggled with eating. I think it began with my son's exams. He had a migraine in one and from then on I struggled with breathlessness. Then I started to lose my appetite. And got some eczema. My breathing returned to normal once the exams finished, my appetite didn't and the eczema remains.
I went and saw a nurse (only appointment I could get) who sent me for blood tests as I had lost half a stone. Bloods were fine. Also got cream fro skin which helped as long as I used it.
Went on family holiday where I was eating family meals. That was a huge struggle, I worried about what my H would say about me not eating. He was struggling with daughter who has been cutting out sugary things and has now decided not to eat meat. Even though I said I was struggling he didn't seem to notice. I found it easier to eat fruit and to drink instead of have bread and 'normal' meals.
Came back from holiday and I had lost more than a stone over the whole period, I now weigh what I did before I had kids. I was a healthy weight anyway, now I am back to the low weight I was before. Back to the doctor who thought it could be hormonal, I am 47. Nope, hormones are fine.

In the meantime I turned to accupuncture, which has resolved my lack of appetite, I can now eat bread without feeling sick. Eczema and dry skin is now worse though so I have another session lined up.

I have also got an appointment with a psychodynamic therapist. That kind of therapy really improved my immune system and the mental health team here said it was recommended for childhood issues, but all they could offer me was CBT which, at the time I took, as I had had a mixed experience with the psychodynamic therapist I had before.

I need to get to the bottom of what derailed me so badly this summer. Was it just a combination of things? I think a lot of it is to do with co-dependency issues, I am effected by everyone else's moods and needs to my own detriment.

Well done if you have read so far, I didn't really know what to say, I have never had such a long term issue with food before.
G

Jazzy

Yeah, its hard to say. You could have been feeling the stress from your son's exams etc. Its good you can eat bread and such again now. Hopefully the other stuff clears up too, and you find what you're looking for. Take care! :)

Kizzie

QuoteI think a lot of it is to do with co-dependency issues, I am effected by everyone else's moods and needs to my own detriment.

Having been raised by parents with NPD I am the same - very much attuned and reactive to the moods/needs of others. And like you I see my symptoms as signalling to me I need to pay more attention to my needs and feelings. It sounds like you're doing everything you can to get to the bottom of yours Gromit so :thumbup: 

(Note:  I think your post is fine here but if you'd like me to move this to a separate thread so you can explore the topic/get more responses I would be happy to do so just PM me. )

Gromit

Thanks Kizzie,
I did see the T today, she thought the struggle to eat may have been from adrenalin? It certainly became a cycle and I am glad it is over. I hope things will settle further once my son gets his results. I think I have a lot of anxiety about that.
G

Kizzie

Well now that's interesting - adrenaline as the culprit.  It's certainly a part of our hypervigilance symptom, all that revved up anxiety. Anyway, glad it's over and hope your son gets positive results back  :)

Blueberry

There was a post a day or two ago about warm milky drinks for soothing an IC. Lightbulb for me! I'd really never made the connection before - but maybe that explains some of my drinking habits. Milky drinks are sometimes sugary too or caffeineated and as such not always super healthy for me, but I really like them! So next time I have a craving, maybe wrap myself up in a blanket with a hotwater bottle instead? Actually tonight I had one too, but I had fresh milk from the farm :) and something in the fridge that needed using up. However, I really noticed - this is lukewarm and milky and not an adult taste.