Ketamine

Started by OSUJH, November 01, 2019, 01:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OSUJH

So in August I started therapy on the hopes of having EMDR.    I was told I was so disassociated that EMDR would not work.  We did talk therapy until my therapist felt I was ready and he did EMDR for the first time a few weeks ago.    After that we hit a plateau after I was triggerd and I began to disassociate again.    He suggested Ketamine since talk therapy and EMDR aren't really "working" and I have an appointment set for Saturday for a Ketamine infusion.    Has anyone done this?   Thoughts ?   I  am scared but excited....

Kizzie

Radical went through Ketamine treatment - you can use the search function to find her posts.  She hasn't been active for a while but you could leave her a PM for when she stops by.

Three Roses

There is a Netflix limited series called "The Mind Explained" that covers treatment with ketamine, ayahuasca, lsd, etc. Pretty interesting stuff.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81098586?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

MoonBeam

Hi Osujh.  I've been looking into alternative therapies that could be helpful to me on my journey. I'm mostly looking at Ayahuasca, so don't know anything about Ketamine. But I noticed in your post it seems it has only been a few months of you working with this T, is that correct?
For me, it took longer than a few months for me to even begin to trust my T enough to share the tiniest pieces of trauma with her. Then a year in  when I could stop dissociating long enough to consider other modalities, we tried EMDR. It was huge and I felt it really broke through some things, but I also totally fell apart afterwards and we have been reestablishing stability and resources since then, so when I'm ready, I can go deeply into the past and not be overwhelmed by it, wether that is with EMDR, talk therapy or other modalities. I know its tricky cause depending on services where you live, sessions and resources may be limited to a certain # or time, so perhaps there is a sense of urgency.
I'm not saying this is your experience, just wanted to put it out there that whatever modality you use, it is important you are comfortable with the pace and practice. We can't rush recovery. It just doesn't work that way, especially with complex trauma. I hope the Ketamine infusion is helpful. I too am curious and hope to hear how it goes.

Kizzie

Did you undergo the treatment OSUJH? 

radical

Hi,
I'd be happy to talk about Ketamine treatment by PM if anyone is considering this treatment.
As Kizzie said, I don't get here very often so it would probably be the only way I'd be likely to know if there was any interest.

Kizzie

OSUJH

Hey everyone.  Sorry for being absent for the last month.   I have been trying so hard to convince myself I was okay and just needed to stay away from this amazing resource.   I did the Ketamine infusion about a month ago.   I did not like it.   I spent the whole time trying to get out of what it did to me.  It was scary and I felt alone.  My T felt horrible and wondered if he "oversold" it's benefits.  I told him no, that it was all o me.   I couldn't accept it for what it was.   I spent 4 years from the ages of 8-12 not having control over my body so he said it makes sense I fought so hard against it.   I was alone (the doctor checked in 3 times) and I was panicked.   We are going to try it again but he is going to be there.   I have complete trust in him and even though I have only been seeing him since August he immediately made me feel safe and I have progressed quickly and drastically.   30 years of avoidance and I am finally now dealing with it but I have been "cleaning out my closet" at a quick (safe for me) pace.   I am actually going to go back to school to become a victims advocate.   While my T said I am not ready to be a victims advocate, it will be safe to start school because it will take a couple of years to get another degree.

Kizzie

Oh dear OSUJH, I'm so sorry it was not a positive/helpful experience. I seem to remember when Radical had the treatment she was alone and that was problematic for her too. Hopefully having your T there next time will make a difference given you have trust and confidence in him (and that's awesome to have found someone you connect with like that  :thumbup:).  In the MDMA trials by MAPS for PTSD, there are two T's in every session talking, listening, supporting, guiding, etc.  The results have been quite positive so if your T is there with you it likely will go better. 

Boatsetsailrose

In the UK ketamine isn't legal therapeutically or otherwise...
I've seen people on it recreationly and it didn't look good. I think I took it once when I took a mdma I had a full out of body experience it was horrible.
It's a horse tranq so....

Kizzie

How are you doing now OSUJH?

OSUJH

Hey Kizzie, thanks for asking.  I'm okay, doing a great job of "ignoring" things.  Still kind of hit a wall after Ketamine and tried EMDR again to get past the wall but it still isn't working.   My therapist just got trained in a newer therapy called LENS neurofeedback so we are going to try that.   I appreciate your support hugs to you all.

sigiriuk

Quote from: Boatsetsailrose on December 24, 2019, 12:24:41 PM
In the UK ketamine isn't legal therapeutically or otherwise...
Hi Boatsetsailrose, ketamine will be available soon in the UK for the treatment of depression, as a nasal spray. The infusion is mostly used for postnatal depression.

saylor

I've studied up a bit, and the impression I get is that ketamine can really help some folks with complex trauma. It seems to work best with IV or intramuscular injection, and when the patient is induced into a deep dissociative state. However, that state can constitute a really frightening trip for some (def not all). Also, at least where I am, it's very expensive (insurance won't cover) to do in a clinical setting with IV, and the treatment doesn't work for all, and even for those who see some success, they generally need to go back for a redo at regular intervals, so... cha-ching!!

I'd love to try it, but can't justify the expense for something that may not work and probably won't last long. So frustrating that some of the more effective brute-force treatments are effectively out of reach for most ppl