Trauma Therapy Begins Today

Started by mikenoodle, November 04, 2019, 11:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikenoodle

My Therapist and I have been working together for almost 10 years and have made huge progress for me and my personal life. we recently reached a point where the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy reached it's effective end and for the ongoing C-PTSD work, she recommended that i see a Trauma therapist.

This morning was my first appointment and I have to say that I may have gotten lucky and found a good match on the first try, although this was a referral from my CBT therapist who knew me very well. It's frustrating to make an appointment... wait... meet them and not feel comfortable, or just not seem to mesh, but it appears that I may have struck water on the first drill, so to speak, and for that I am eternally grateful.

We met for the typical 50 minute session and covered just a bit of my story and what we are trying to accomplish. I mentioned this forum to her and she said that she has another client that has mentioned it as well. I told her that i thought that this was an incredible place and to date the only place that i have EVER found that understands what I am dealing with. Kudos, Kizzie!!!

She said that she believes that it will take about the first 4 sessions to get to know me and create realistic goals for therapy.

I recently read that the Admin here was successful with EMRT and it's a big part of what this trauma therapist does, although she combines it with other therapies. I was really apprehensive that today wouldn't go well, and I am happily surprised that we seem to be a match and that she seems to be confident that she can help.

There may be hope for me yet...

Perplex

This all sounds incredible! I'm really glad you've found it to be comfortable. 10 years is a long time but the fact you're still going and making progress is absolutely inspiring. Here's hoping you'll be able to really get something out of your new therapy.

Blueberry

:cheer:

So many members report less than good first encounters with a new therapist, so it's great that yours sounds good from day one.

P.S. Kizzie had EMDR not EMRT

Kizzie

Tks for the shout out Mike and glad to hear you may have connected with a good T, that can be a hit and miss process to be sure. 

I did go back for some EMDR after two earlier not great sessions and am happy to say it really did help me.  The first T was not particularly good and didn't do any grounding/safety with me AND I was basically falling apart at the time and needed stabilization so no wonder it didn't go well.

Good luck with the sessions, would be interested to hear how they go  :yes:

Three Roses

Yay for "striking water on the first drill"!  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Not Alone

Glad you connected and feels hopeful.

Jazzy

Sounds great; all the best with the upcoming sessions. Take care! :)

mikenoodle

Thanks everyone for the positive words and support!

That is generally the problem, if you ask me... if you don't like the T, you won't get as much out of therapy. I was really fearful that we wouldn't mesh like me and my former T, but I got lucky. The fact that my old T referred me may have helped. They are approximately the same age and their demeanor seems very similar.

Yes, Blueberry, I meant EMDR, I am just unfamiliar with the therapy. (I will be acquainted with it soon.)

Perplex - Yes, it was a very good experience for me, but don't get me wrong. It was difficult and at times i didn't know if I'd get through. I kept doing the work, though, no matter what. My former T said that i am one of the most resilient people that she has ever known.

Kizzie - You can count on an update.

Kizzie