am i financially supporting my child enough in Higher Education

Started by Pilgrim, November 06, 2019, 11:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilgrim

1 of my children said they weren't that well off doing their Further Education. Apart from the basic student loan, I cover all accommodation costs, utility bills, mobile phone, spotify, travel card, leaving £50 per week for food and anything else. I'm medically retired. Please be honest with me, is this too little? Based in Scotland. I'm falling apart and when i heard that have just disappeared down a black hole. I do the same for another child at uni - parity for both. i just feel why don't i just shuffle off this mortal coil and then they can have more money. Thanks.

Not Alone

Pilgrim,
My husband and I contribute very little toward our children's higher education. They are mostly working and paying for it themselves. You asked if what you were doing was too little. It sounds like quite a bit to me.

Three Roses

Yes, I think you are providing more than enough. Your child is human, and young, and it's normal that they may not understand or see just how much you are already giving. As a young adult they have the option of finding their own income. Props to you for doing what you can for your kids! But please do not shuffle off your mortal coil.

Kizzie

Our son works part time and pays for most things himself as both as his father and I did when we went to university (so FWIW I too think you're doing a lot for both  :yes:).  And FWIW I think having their dad around is so much better than having to work or accumulating some debt to get their education.

Pilgrim

thanks for the replies. Just in such a dark place at the moment.

Kizzie

Here's some sunshine care :sunny:  - hope it lightens your day even if just a little.

:grouphug:

Blueberry

Here's some  :sunny: :sunny: from me too and :umbrella: to ward off whatever you need to.

The support you give your children sounds quite adequate to me. More than adequate. My impression is that North Americans and Europeans (including the British) have differing views on funding their children through higher education. I did get financial help from my parents through both university degrees though much less in the second one. I wasn't well off either but I accepted that. The proverbial student isn't well off! When you get into full-time work after uni, you can change that usually.

How much support you give depends also on how much comfort you're sacrificing for them. It would be a bit backwards if you were scrimping and saving and behaving like the proverbial student so your children could party, buy a car and go on holidays instead of getting a summer job. Please don't shuffle off your mortal coil - I'm sure your children appreciate you more as a living person than any extra money you can give them.