Anniversaries of trauma Trigger warning

• 3 Replies

Tee

• View Profile
Anniversaries of trauma Trigger warning
« on: November 11, 2019, 12:18:04 AM »
Been stuck looping with my demons for about a month.  October is the anniversary of two horrid things. The start of a year long abusive relationship with a much older sociopathic guy, and also the dramatic finish of the year that left me wishing he and his friends had killed me.

Trigger warning over*****

I'm just not sure how to stop the looping. I try to focus on my family, school, my job.  But every year it rushes back and I'm stuck.  Not sure how to break the cycle this year this year there are more emotions tired to it, which my T says means I'm healing.  But to me makes it more devastating.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jazzy

• View Profile
Re: Anniversaries of trauma Trigger warning
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 01:00:40 AM »
Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time Tee. I hope you feel better soon. Its not too much longer until a new year begins!

I don't have much experience with an anniversary causing me to feel bad again, but one thing I can think of is re-association. If you could make a point to start a new tradition of something positive in October, it will give you something to look forward to that is good. Then, moving forward, you can try to focus your thoughts on that, instead of the previous bad events.

I think both you and your therapist have a good point. With more emotions, it will be harder, but that also means that you are aware and processing things.

Honestly though, I think it will just take some time and a lot of effort. Wishing you all the best with it. Take care! :)

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:29:05 PM »
one thing I can think of is re-association. If you could make a point to start a new tradition of something positive in October, it will give you something to look forward to that is good

Very good idea! (I may try that myself, thanks Jazzy, I've got an unpleasant anniversary coming soon.)

It makes sense that your t says the extra emotions mean you are healing. It's like a wound, it all has to get cleaned out to stop the infection.

I hope things improve soon, you're so worthy of feeling safe and if being loved.  :hug:

notalone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:19:33 PM »
Tee,

I wish I had some advise for you. I'm sad that you are experiencing so much pain. I care about you.  :hug: