Memory and concentration issues

Started by Dyess, March 31, 2015, 03:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyess

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in here. This forum is pretty overwhelming with information. My memory, especially short term has gotten really bad, plus my ability to concentrate has all but disappeared. When I'm trying to concentrate on something I end up in a zoned out stare. Not really thinking about anything, that I remember, but I have lost track of that time. Maybe it's just from being so tired. Sleep issues are really bad, but always have been  for me. Do others have issues with memory and sleep?

C.

Yes.  Memory and concentration issues happen with CPTSD, at least for me they did.

For me the medications helped.  I couldn't concentrate well enough to work or even parent well enough for a while.  So for me the medications were that jump start back to a healthier reality.  Before that was working well I remember having three piles of papers on my desk at work and at the end of 3 hrs I realized I'd been bouncing around between parts of the papers and my thoughts and had very little done.  Eventually, my memory and sleep got to be good enough.  I'm working and parenting again.  And I'm pretty forgetful anyway so I just try to be compassionate with myself about that, like where are my keys I just had them?... ;)

Dyess

What medication helped you? I'm taking Lexapro and Wellbutrin, and Klonopin as needed. None seem to help with the memory and sleep issues. I take an herbal sleep product but it doesn't keep me asleep. I have sleep apnea anyway, so sleep has been an issue for a while. Thanks for the feedback though. Get you a clap-on device for those keys :)

C.

Often times ADHD or ADHD inattentive type require adderall or ritalin, both of which help w/sequencing and memory, at least for me.  So if you have one of those diagnoses that might be an option.  For sleep there are some strong meds out there, Temezapam for example.  But if you're taking meds for depression already I don't know.    Consult w/your doctor of course.  There's another topic board about meds so we could move this discussion there, but it didn't start out about medication.

My perfect "cocktail" for about 1 1/2 years has been Mirtizapine (great for my depression, but makes me sleepy), adderall (keeps me awake but increases anxiety), and Tramadol (for back pain, but it's a very mild relaxant).  I had Xanax for a while to take as needed for anxiety, but I think it makes me tearful and weepy so I've stopped using it.

You might also look in to the side effects of the medications that you're taking.  Insomnia might be one.  And insomnia/lack of sleep greatly affects memory!

With meds it's so unique to each individual so communicating with your doctor the severity of your insomnia and memory problems is important.  Best of luck figuring this all out!

Dyess

Thanks C. I'm not really looking for more medications. I HATE taking the ones I have, therefore do not take them as directed. But pretty close to that :) Glad you found the right mix for you. I think my doctor is afraid to use those big gun drugs. Hopefully what I'm on now is short term, that was my agreement to take them. Thanks for responding back.

seasaw_

This DEFINITELY happens to me.  I'll walk into the next room to grab my phone to call Fred, see another task I was in the middle of earlier, try to get some headway done on that, remember I haven't had any water that day, go drink some, remember I don't know where my phone is, go find it, go back to the living room and realize I have made no headway on the laundry, start folding it, realize I might calm down a little if I turn on a tv show while I fold, go on like this for two hours, and then realize I never called Fred.  The whole time feeling generally hazy, foggy, tingly, vaguely guilty for not being more on top of things, vaguely silly for probably appearing to an imaginary onlooker to be totally disorganized, like, where is my brain?!  Trying to find a sense of humor about it... trying to find an explanation for it... like, maybe I should take a vitamin... maybe I should eat something healthy... maybe I should have more structure in my day...

Is this ctpsd? Couldn't we call this a bunch of different things?  The

Warringmind

Seasaw, oh my goodness! You just described what a lot of my days are like. I 1/4 or 1/2 finish everything I do. I forget what I have started and move on to other things then remember and go back to the first thing but on the way get distracted or side strained by another thing I had to do. I find sometimes writing lists help, problem is I usually can't remember everything to put on the list so start to add things but they get out of order and then it's just all too overwhelming and end up in a big cycle of negative thoughts and feelings towards myself. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, it has helped me feel less like I'm losing my mind. I hope that you are able to gain back some of your focus soon!

Dyess

Wow, looks like I'm not the only one with these challenges. Making the list is a good idea if I could remember to do that :) I also can be reading something and just looking at the words with none of it sinking in. Now that's not every time but a lot of the time. It's frustrating.  Also....does anyone lose time somewhere? Like you will be doing something and it's 12:05 p.m. and you look at the clock again and it 1:30 p.m. and you really haven't done anything in that time? I know...sounds crazy.

Widdiful Falling

It doesn't sound crazy, Trace. It sounds like dissociation. It's a pretty common problem that most of us struggle with, too. You're not alone.  :hug:

Anyone else curse their doorways? I swear, they are the bane of my existence. Every time I pass through one, everything I was planning flies away.  :doh:

Dyess

No I curse my closet.....everytime I put clothes in there they get smaller. Thanks for explaining the time loss.