How do you know you have DID?

Started by Northman, December 12, 2019, 10:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northman

I have been told I have secondary dissociation with multiple emotional parts. I have become very unsure is I have DID, and would like how you guys knew you had it? 

Not Alone

For me, hearing voices in my head, but knowing it was not schizophrenia. Then a sense or knowledge of other parts. Talking to my T about the "five-year-old," etc. T saying that everyone has different parts and me thinking he doesn't know or doesn't want to know. One of the parts coming out and talking in therapy. Using the words "we, our, us" to describe myself. T saying I had DID.

Bottom line, for me it was a process before I really knew it. Even now, even though my amnesia is minor and I have communication with at least some of the Littles, occasionally I think, "this can't possibly be true about me." Take your time, Northman.

Northman

Thank you for youre reply. It`s not that way I experience I think.

I Talk to myself with you and I in my head. I have never lost time during dissociating. I feel like I have a lot of internal conflict with strong emotions and a very bad self image. I do feel like there is so many parts competing in my mind about my self image in a way. That I`m always there while emotions come up trying to tell stuff. Not like voices just changes in thinking and a lot of doubt. 

Snowdrop

It could be worth researching Internal Family Systems therapy (IFS) as that deals with parts. There's a video here (part 1 of 4): https://youtu.be/2UfmGwENz9M.

The book "Internal Family Systems Therapy (second edition" by Richard Schwartz and Martha Sweezy is excellent, and I've found it extremely helpful.

arale

:yeahthat:

IFS is a very rigorous system. I would love to give it a try any time. I've never tried it myself but it sounds very similar to what we do in Inner Relationship Focusing, except that focusing doesn't have IFS's rigorous framework of Protectors, Exiles and Burdens. I started with focusing essentially because there are tons of free resources available here:
https://focusingresources.com/

Quote from: Northman on December 13, 2019, 11:57:22 AM
I feel like I have a lot of internal conflict with strong emotions and a very bad self image. I do feel like there is so many parts competing in my mind about my self image in a way.

What you say here resonates with me. One time I was in a session of Inner Relationship Focusing, I came up with an image of a battlefield where 3,000 Lego characters were fighting each other with light sabers, swords and spears. Each one of the Lego figures is a voice of mine! There's the one that wants me to be successful, the one that wants me to be a good daughter, the one that wants me to save the world, the one that wants me to be spiritual... It was a very busy place with a lot happening! Living with this battlefield in my brain every day is quite overwhelming, but being able to see them as small cute Lego figures made me laugh and take distance.