Starting a local in-person support group?

Started by saylor, November 24, 2019, 05:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saylor

I've had a few experiences meeting in a group setting with others who are dealing with mental health issues (including PTSD), and really felt like I benefited from the cameraderie. But the groups seemed to fizzle quickly, and now once again, I find myself with no one in real life that I can connect with.
I'm considering taking the plunge and starting my own group (which would focus specifically on CPTSD), but I'm scared. I'm not a natural organizer of groups of people, and I'm also worried about putting myself in a position of possibly having to manage unpleasant interpersonal group dynamics, etc. My general fear of people is also a concern, and maybe it's not a good idea for me to try this (in fact, I think some of the groups I'd been in failed due to skittishness on the organizer's part).
Nonetheless, I'm considering it, and I'm wondering whether anyone here has ever organized an in-person group, and if so, what that experience has been like and do you have any suggestions about starting and managing the group?

Kizzie

Hi Saylor, I know OOTS member Author Anna started a group in the UK if you want to PM her and ask about her experience (or email her at anna@consciencemedia.co.uk).

I also just came across one in Calgary Canada - https://www.meetup.com/Complex-Trauma-Expression-Recovery-Discussion-Meetup/.  You could contact the founder/coord about his group too.

I have been thinking for some time we need to gather/create some resources to help people start face-to-face groups in their areas.  We struggle with relationships so one way of helping ourselves with that is by connecting with other survivors who get it and with whom we can feel safe(r) than we normally do. 

I see the issues you mention as barriers too but other groups have processes/policies for dealing with these problems so it's possible to borrow from them perhaps (eg Adult Children of Addicts).

I have to run right now but I know of two free sets of program materials that you might use so I'll look for them later and post links to them.

saylor

Kizzie

Here's one of the resources I mentioned: Adult Survivors of Child Abuse (ASCA) which has a facilitator training manual and a lot of free downloads:

Packages
    How to Work ASCA SM Solo Package
    How to Run ASCA SM Group Meetings Package
    NEW ASCA Online Meeting Package
    ASCA Rotational Meeting Package
    ASCA Step Work Meeting Package
    ASCA Meeting Individual Files Package

Individual Files
    Tips for Starting an ASCA Group
    ASCA Meeting Guidebook
    ASCA Meeting Co-Facilitator Training Manual
    Survivor to Thriver Manual