Trauma Recovery - Carolyn Spring

Started by arale, December 06, 2019, 10:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arale

Carolyn Spring is a survivor who now writes and provides training "for both dissociative survivors and professionals working with them". She offers online training courses, and there's a lot of free stuff on her website too. I learned a lot about trauma recovery from her blog, the newsletters that can be downloaded from her website and her videos. Could also be a useful resource for people living in the UK:

https://www.carolynspring.com/

woodsgnome

Thanks for that reference, Arale. I always react with more attention to someone who's 'walked the talk,' as it were. It's like reading on this forum. One feels more attuned, I suppose, to people whose path, at least in part, resembles the sadness, shame, anger and more that goes with this package of hurt we travel in.

I haven't taken a full dive into the site yet, but it's always great to pick up places that hold hope for harnessing some small -- or large -- means by which to convert just surviving into fully thriving (in spite of what happened). 

Thanks again.  :)

arale

Woodsgnome, I totally agree with you. I get skeptical reading webpages of therapists who say "they" can really help "you". Feels cold. And the first question that arises in me is, "What do they know about how awful it feels?"

In that sense I am very impressed by Carolyn Spring. Severely abused all through childhood. Developed dissociative disorders. Worked really hard for 10 years with Ts AND on her own. She certainly didn't just rely on her T time. And when she couldn't get her T fees covered by insurance she paid out of pocket. 10 years of hard work later, she says she can lead a normal-ish life, and can even share her knowledge with others. THAT'S the kind of source of knowledge (and experience) that gives me lots of confidence (and hope).

And I guess, maybe that's one of the reasons why Pete Walker's work is so adored by our group.

Gromit

Thanks for the reminder, I have seen her work before and it does resonate.