YouTube videos or relaxing podcasts

Started by Snookiebookie2, November 11, 2019, 10:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snookiebookie2

Hi

I often have trouble sleeping,  due to rumination, bad dreams about my day or waking up in a panic.

When this happens I find listening to the spoken word is great (talking as opposed to music). I love listening to BBC Radio 4 or BBC world service for this reason.   They are a good distraction and relax me to sleep.

I also like listening to relaxation videos on YouTube but can't find that many. Does anyone have suggestions of which ones to try?

I have also tried some podcasts on Spotify but as they were discussing CPTSD in depth then they triggered me. Again does anyone have any suggestions?

Snowdrop

Two things spring to mind.

The first is the Paul McKenna sleep hypnosis track. I think it's on YouTube. I can't tell you that much about it because I find it quite effective!

I also find listening to children's audio books helpful.

Three Roses

Perplex

This is an odd recommendation but sometimes I like to put on the radio in a different language.  For me, I listen to Russian radios because I'm trying to learn the language. For me at the moment, it all seems like nonsense and gibberish... but there's no English words there that trigger me, it's just... voices, company that soothes me. I listen to them speak and the only thing I can focus on then is the way they speak, the inflexions and syllables. And if I can focus on that, it stops me from ruminating and focusing on the subject itself - thus preventing triggers!