Hello Everyone

Started by TaterTot, December 22, 2019, 07:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaterTot

Hello everyone.

I'm a 55 year old woman,mother to 3 adult children.I have joined here with the hope of getting a grip on my symptoms and moving forward with my life.

I went through 5 years of intense trauma therapy and was doing pretty good  for awhile.But then in late 2017 I experienced another trauma that has really thrown me off my foundation. It's like everything I learned in therapy,all the skills and tools I gained flew right out the window.

I am currently unable to go back to therapy due to financial reasons. Hopefully I will be able to return sometime in the new year,I am working towards that,(have purchased health insurance through the government marketplace and waiting for it to take effect).

I am hopeful that being here and interacting with others will help me while I wait.

There's so much more but I think this will suffice for now.

Nice to meet you all.

Kizzie

Hi TaterTot and a warm welcome to OOTS  :heythere:

Sorry to hear another trauma rocked you back on your heels and I hope being here helps with getting your feet back under you - we are a supportive, encouraging group.   :grouphug: 

Just wanted to suggest that although it may feel like everything you did before has flown out the window but it may actually be that you would have been worse off without all of the skills and tools.  I am mostly doing well now but have had times when I have felt all my trauma responses rise up.  It makes sense that this would happen because there are such well worn emotional/cognitive/physical paths to those defenses and reactions. Put us under enough stress and I think they will kick in. 

One therapist and survivor with CPTSD who talks about this is Pete Walker in his book "CPTSD: From Surviving to Thriving".  I don't know if you've read it or not but I always think of him and his views when my trauma overwhelms me. http://pete-walker.com/

TaterTot

Hi kizzie,thanks for the welcome.

I suppose you're probably right that I probably would have been worse off.I hadn't thought of it in that way,thanks for pointing it out.

Also,yes,Pete Walkers book is great,thanks for mentioning it,I will have to re-read it,it's been awhile since the last time I have,

Snowdrop

Hello TaterTot, pleased to meet you! :heythere:

Snookiebookie2

TaterTot

Thank you  Snowdrop and Snookiebookie2

Not Alone

TaterTot