C-PTSD/Burnout

Started by jamesG.1, December 31, 2019, 08:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesG.1

Being doing a bit of research on burnout and its relationship with PTSD. Seems the two share a whole raft of similarities and interestingly, or rather usefully, there is far more advice and guidance for burnout recovery than there is or propbably ever will be for C-PTSD.

Looking back objectively at my story, if you remove the emotional story a bit you can see what is effectively a burnout. Work burnouts are typically formed by a disconnect between effort and reward, where the energy in is being wasted and dissipated  by increasing demands and an inflexibility in the employer. see here:

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/stress/burnout-prevention-and-recovery.htm

the big difference for us is that the employer is our relationships and that support cannot therefore come from loved ones because invariably, they are that cause. All the same, the advice is well worth looking at as there is a lot of crossover.

This is also very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFkI69zJzLI&t=526s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZGxYBsUXgU

Personally I find the PTSD advice out there lamentable on the whole, mainly because unless you are from the forces, no one gets it at all and you can't make those around you understand. Burnout is different, and although it is not an exact fit, the similarities are stark.

Rainagain

Interesting post James.

The description of the differences between stress and burnout are interesting, I can believe I got the cptsd from stress and then the depressive disorder from subsequent burnout, might be a fit.

I often wonder why i have both, could be an explanation.

Is burnout a recognised thing? Is it what used to be called a nervous breakdown? I will try to find out a bit more i think.

Neither description has been used in my diagnoses over the years, but that might not mean much.

Kat

What an insightful connection you've made, James.  One of the most difficult things about suffering from C-PTSD is not being seen and truly known.  I have done tons of hard work to heal, and I have suffered enormously, but none of it is ever acknowledged because to acknowledge all I have done would be to admit that something very bad happened in my past.  People do not want to know about that.  It's too scary.  So, yes, I can see how burnout fits in here--"a disconnect between effort and reward, where the energy in is being wasted..." 

Be well.

woodsgnome

I definitely resonate with the discussion here. Trying to bring any of this up with others becomes an add-on to the already strong sense of dejection. It's said that humans need to communicate; except, when you try and only get blank looks and/or even fear that someone just crying out for a morsel of understanding is 'like that' ... or something.

Even having a good therapist, as I'm lucky to have, doesn't quite measure up. Sometimes going for an appointment feels like -- oh right, I have to go into this special closet where I can be accepted, as I sure won't be anywhere else. Deep sigh ...