Art as Therapy

Started by Phoebes, January 01, 2020, 04:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoebes

Happy New Year, friends!  :fireworks:
I'm so very grateful for you all.

This year I've decided to do something different. Finding a therapist in my area has caused so much frustration, and time to lapse without really getting help. And, getting back to actually 'doing' art has not happened in years, but always is a source of angst for me. This year I'm going to DO art AS therapy. No particular "art therapy theme", just the act of getting in the flow, satisfying my frustration, procrastination and stagnation in this area, I think will do me a world of good.

Let's face it, I have read, researched, written, pondered, processed this to death, and I think I am way too in my head. I need action this time. And same with specific exercise! So, I think making a schedule and sticking to it is the habit I will strive for instead of what I usually do.

I think accomplishing just doing anything with art will make me feel so much better. I used to be an artist, full -time at times, and painted large paintings and colorful pet portraits. I did all kinds of commissions (which I hated to do, it turned out). My family are realistic artists, and maybe without prompting, I've felt pressure to perform. Maybe it was a part of "codependency" pr people-pleasing. Now, I want to just play, try out new things, new mediums, just let it flow-no expectations. BUT, to keep on task, I have created a list of a "body of work" I'd like to accomplish, so in a year I will have a few pieces, whether or not they are to show or are "good" or whatever. Just get back to playing and for the first time, expressing. Something hard for me.

Not Alone

Glad you will be allowing yourself to play with art and express yourself.

Phoebes

sanmagic7

phoebes, i've done art as therapy, and it's been really helpful.  there's something about getting thoughts, feelings, images out of your head and onto paper/canvas/whatever that makes a difference in how we can see it, how it looks to us, what kind of meaning might be exposed or hidden that comes to light.

good for you for moving onto a different track.  any movement, to my mind, is progress.  love and hugs!

Phoebes

Thanks, San! I was at a friend's today, and she's reading a Brene Brown book about imprerfection, and was telling me the theme throughout is basically using things you struggle with to channel expression and creativity...getting your hands into it and get going. It was cool she had arrived at a similar theme in a different way. The book sounded good, too.

BeautifulCrazy

I hope you keep posting about your art as therapy!
A few years ago I was so lucky to be part of an art therapy group for women who had experienced trauma and domestic abuse!! It was one of the best things that I ever participated in. The group lost funding and was discontinued and my personal progress lost a lot of momentum without that real-life support group :( I fantasize about running my own group one day for people with c-ptsd! I wish I had the resources, time, energy and self discipline to invest in doing more creative things right now. I know from experience how cathARTic it can be! Do you know yet what your first project, first step, first medium used is going to be? I am excited for you! (My inner child is grinning and giving me a picture of splattery warm mud hitting the pristine side of one of those big metal shipping containers. A memory? A wish?) I'm feeling inspired to maybe have a bit of free flowing creative time tomorrow and see what transpires. Thank you for your super inspiring and affirming post!

Phoebes

That's great, BC! I'm going to be somewhat structured, but really, allow myself to play and experiment. I tend t o put pressure on myself to perform, and then create some resistance with performance anxiety. I'm just going to get my hands on it and re-learn some things that are rusty. Maybe I will start with some basic drawing and sketching ideas that I'm drawn to, and then as I have more developed ideas and mediums I'll go there. I have a lot of ideas that are mixed media, and stuff sitting around I've wanted to use, so there's no excuse over here! lol. I do want to have a body of work as a longer term goal, but again, I want the urgency to be on scheduled art time more than production. I am excited, too! I did participate in an art therapy group a couple of years ago, but I didn't really enjoy it. It was probably the particular one, but one or two people talked the whole time, and it was more kinda craftsy. I couldn't process my own stuff there, and I'm not into crafts...lol.

Boatsetsailrose

Playing and expressing how fabulous.. You are an inspiration Phoebe's