Jg Recover Journal

Started by juliaguarde, January 06, 2020, 06:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juliaguarde

1/6/2020
Today I am grateful that I watched the resiliency video this morning.  I have struggled with mdd my adult life. Treating myself for depression is different. I had to brow beat myself into doing things to get well, such as friend visits and getting out of bed. The last couple of years have been hard. I recently realized that I'd been listening to advice for people without trauma and pushing myself so hard.  Watching that video validated my instincts. I have begun to be gentle and understanding toward myself, when I can, 🤣. 
I want to remember to take my trauma into consideration before accepting that I'm doing it wrong because psychology today says so, for example.
:grouphug:

Three Roses

QuoteI recently realized that I'd been listening to advice for people without trauma and pushing myself so hard.  Watching that video validated my instincts.

👌👌👌👍👍👍 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Not Alone

Glad you are becoming more gentle with yourself and taking your trauma into consideration.  :thumbup:

gentle rain

Quote from: juliaguarde on January 06, 2020, 06:27:00 PM
1/6/2020
...validated my instincts

So encouraging when that happens!

woodsgnome

JG, it's a pleasure to meet, even in circumstances that border on tragic, emotionally and in many other ways as well. So welcome  :) .

As you alluded to, in our eagerness to find a way through, we often consult with self-help experts and they just as often come up short; as they themselves are too often stuck in language patterns that they seem to copy from each other. And worse -- so many of them have not had to 'walk the talk'. So they build themselves up as experts on a topic they're only making best guesses about. I'm sure they do help some, which is okay but our damaged souls aren't susceptible to cookie-cutter treatment.

It takes a little discernment to fight through the tendency to jump in line behind the experts, though. You've apparently reached that realization, as well.

At least here you can feel confident that our struggles, while not always similar, at least are expressed as honestly as we can. Just one more note on honest authors -- I've just started in on 2 books by Carolyn Spring, and what she says resonates in large measure because she too has 'been there, don that' when it comes to this daunting journey. So, like Pete Walker, she's been on the trail and her 2 books reflect that (one is "Recovery is My Best Revenge"; and the other is "Unshame: Healing Trauma-based Shame through Psychotherapy".