great advice. Pre frontal cortex and recovery from PTSD

Started by jamesG.1, January 07, 2020, 10:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesG.1

This on quora

Barbara Dautrich
Barbara Dautrich, Doc of Psychology and Education
Answered Jan 14, 2018

Barry M. gave a good up-to-date summary of the 'limited and recoverable' impact of stress on the prefrontal cortex (PFC). It has long been known that acute or chronic 'stress' can hijack the higher-level, executive functions of the PFC. That's because basic survival is more important than complex decision-making, so the more primitive functions of the brain (amygdala, and fight/flight hormones) become dominant under stress.

But to aid your cognitive recovery from the stress of the past years, here are some suggestions:

Your experiences of 'having no control' temporarily taught your brain to ignore the PFC, because problem-solving, decision-making and self-regulation made no difference! So regaining your sense of "being back in control" is important.
    Do things in a consistent, predictable manner for a while so that stress is reduced and amygdala -hippocampus regions are not over-active. Refuse to engage with 'toxic' people or relationship drama altogether. This a 'judgement choice' that strengthens your PFC abilities, putting 'you in control.'
    Make as many of your own decisions as possible. Try to be 'aware' of the many small ways you control your own day, your own life.
    Notice cause-effect, effort-result relationships. Your PFC needs to be rewarded (reinforced) with successful feedback. Example: You managed your anxiety at the bank... Bravo, your PFC's effort at emotional-monitoring caused a successful outcome! You went for a walk instead of sinking into morbid memories, Bravo, you PFC is self-regulating! You go for pizza with friends instead of a night at home with your beer, Bravo, your PFC is over-riding the habituated 'easy fix'.
    Self-soothing, self-comforting is also the PFC's work. So develop that 'inner voice' for emotional-regulation. 'Things are okay now!" "This traffic ticket is just a minor setback, I'm outta the deep sh— now." "Yes, I was stressed at work, but I kept my cool, that's a big step."

As a rule of thumb— treat yourself at least as well as you would treat a friend!

At age 18 you have many years of brain development (PFC) ahead, so treat yourself well and your brain will recover and grow full throttle! Best to you.

Not Alone

Blueberry