PTSD as well?

Started by Sasha, January 08, 2020, 08:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasha

In my recover I am wondering... Is it worth exploring whether I have PTSD from recent trauma in last two years, experiencing violence and threat as an adult, as well as CPTSD from childhood events?

Does anyone have experience of or any information about the co-occurring and how fresh trauma can impact CPTSD?

Three Roses

Ptsd is from a single occurrence - a car accident, a mugging, etc. Complex post traumatic stress doesn't mean it is more complex or more complicated, but rather that the traumas have been multiple. So, it is not possible to have both.

Rainagain

Sasha,
Sorry to hear you have had multiple trauma over the years.

Cptsd seems more linked to interpersonal trauma than PTSD.

It seems to be about becoming intentionally victimised by someone, PTSD is usually impersonal trauma like natural disasters and wars.

Your recent adult experience of violence and threat sounds like more interpersonal trauma which would likely exacerbate and/or compound your existing cptsd.

PTSD has 3 diagnostic symptoms and cptsd has those 3 plus an extra 3.

So 3Roses is right in saying you cant be diagnosed with both  at the same time, there is not much differentiation in cause during diagnosis, it's more about assessing the effects to see what category they fit best.

Kizzie

Experiencing violence/threat in adulthood especially if it was/is ongoing would more be something that  triggers/exacerbates your CPTSD symptoms because it is relational in nature.   It's another layer of relational trauma if you will.