New Blog Article about How Trauma can Impact Our Relationship with Food

Started by Kizzie, January 09, 2020, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

OOTS member Sandra Yelich's book "How to Make Peace with Food" was recently published and she was kind enough to write a blog article about one of the themes - how trauma can Impact our relationship with food. 

Thanks and congrats Sandra!  :applause:

sanmagic7

And, thank you, Kizzie.

Even writing this book has been loaded with traumatic issues surrounding it. Past relationships have interfered, hobbled me, and denied that this was even worth writing, and certainly that it would never succeed. I've struggled for nearly 25 years to get this book in print because of the abuse that encompassed me. Honestly, the support that I've received here was what kept me going and helped me believe in myself when others didn't. If not for this forum, I don't know if this book would have happened.

The whole idea of food/eating/body image issues have dogged me for years, since I was in my early 20's.  I went to OA, read books about the non-diet approach, attended therapy groups - they all helped to a certain extent, but I never quite got answers as to "why" I continued to eat, crave, starve, hate my body, failed time and time again with diets, and ultimately  continued to feel confused and unsatisfied.  It was when I became a therapist that I decided to create my own 6-week group program to address these issues and also to give people the tools needed to make the changes they wanted.

At the time of creation, C-PTSD was unknown and my connection to trauma was unrealized.  For some reason, however, while looking for answers, I managed to include many issues driving us to unhealthy food-related problems that are direct results of trauma and relationships, including inner child work that was mostly relegated to the New Age world at the time.  I now know that it's a big part of what we battle time and time again when dealing with eating or not eating - those messages we've been given since we were infants.

It became a dream of mine to write this program into book form so that anyone who wanted this kind of information would find it available.  Finally, this past year, I was able to realize that dream, thanks in large part to the wonderful people here who have supported me.  This program holds true to individuality, self-focus, and listening to your own body's messages giving people a way to learn, practice (through interactive exercises), and ultimately change perspectives and perceptions which lead to changes in behavior.

Thank you again, Kizzie, for including my book here on this forum.  Your willingness toward that end has given me tremendous validation. :hug:

Not Alone

I ordered How to Make Peace with Food a couple of days ago. Looking forward to receiving it.

sanmagic7

o, thank you notalone!  i sincerely hope you find it helpful.  please let me know either way, ok?  and, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

love and hugs, sweetie!  :hug:

Kizzie

Kizzie

Just noodling here but have you ever considered putting your program online for relational trauma survivors and charging a small fee San?  More professionals seem to be offering courses/workshops/etc this way and there does seem to be a need by survivors. As far as I know community there's nothing out there right now that deals directly with trauma and eating. 

Again, just a thought :Idunno:

sanmagic7

i noted that you mentioned it in another post, kizzie.  i think it's a wonderful idea, but quite honestly, i never have thought about it, wouldn't know how to set it up, etc.  right this minute, i'm struggling w/ my other stuff, so couldn't even think about it for a while.   :stars:  if i get to a point where i can give it some serious thought, would you mind if i picked your brain? 

thanks for the idea, tho.  i really appreciate it.   it's a very good one and my inner helper would love to do this.  love and hugs, my dear. :hug:

Kizzie

Yes, by all means San - I'd love to see something like this for survivors who struggle with eating issues, myself included   :yes: