BOOK: Internal Family Systems Therapy

Started by Not Alone, January 17, 2020, 08:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Alone

First, thank you to Snowdrop for sharing your journey in IFS. When you first started sharing, I wanted to support you, but found myself unable to read your posts. Then I got to the point of being able to skim what you wrote. More recently, I have been able to read your posts in full.

Our marriage therapist recommended Internal Family Systems Therapy by Schwartz and Sweezy to my husband to help him to understand my DID (dissociative identity disorder). Between his recommendation and Snowdrop's and others' sharing, I decided to buy the book.

It came yesterday. A part, who is very against this whole thing, wanted to burn the book before I even opened it. It is an expensive book, so no way that is going to happen! I know at least some of the reasons why she is resistant, although I don't feel at liberty to share those yet. I did start reading it. I'm putting an X by the parts that seem dangerous to her. Also saying to the parts that I'm just reading the book right now. That does mean I'm under any obligation to put any of it into practice.

Snowdrop

:hug:

I hope the book's helpful. I can see why your marriage therapist recommended it. It helped me understand parts better, and also DID.